Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnolia Trees

Posted by shavoe 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 7, 06 at 12:15

Hi Rhizo,

It's Sharon with the re-located magnolia trees. We successfully moved the trees from Atlanta to Birmingham. We followed your directions and put them in huge pots, kept them in the shade for awhile watered then every other day and they SURVIVED. They lost a few leaves and some of the bottom branches have died, but they are growing new leaves and blooming like mad. Thank you for all your help!!

Now for the final leg of this journey. Our house will be complete at the end of the month. Should we leave them in the pots until fall or chance planting them the first of July. After all of this, I would hate to lose them now. What do you suggest?

Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnolia Trees

I would let them be in the containers, Sharon. They haven't even BEGUN to regrow a substantial portion of the root system they left in the soil, and living for awhile in containers will help them to do so. Within the confines of their new 'homes', I believe that that they are likely to suffer far less the difficulties of warm weather, growing season transplantation. As your temperatures begin to cool and day lengths shorten (October or so), you can 'harden' your plant to the sunlight (if they are going to be growing in full sun). By the time you are ready to plant in November or December, they should be sitting (in containers) in the general vicinity of their proposed sites. Remember, the less stress you put your transplanted trees through, the more likely it is that they will sail through all of this in good condition.

Keep an eye out for insect problems at this time. While trees are in the process of making new roots, they do not have the energy resources to allocate to pest defense. I've seen powder post beetles take out newly transplanted magnolias, for example.

Keep them sheltered from the sun....your worries aren't over yet, you know. But I would certainly feel encouraged at this point. Don't blame you for doing so! Let us know that they are still doing fine in July!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here