Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a pretty but fragile native wildflower

Posted by jeff_al 8 AL (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 13:01

this is dicentra exemia, also known as wild bleeding heart, a native of the eastern u.s.
the flowers are not as showy as those of d. spectabilis but i really like the fern-like foliage better. mine is in a planter on the front porch where it is protected from hot sun and strong winds and rain. the stems of the leaves and flowers are very brittle and snap with little pressure so i try to avoid a spot where it might get brushed by humans or my pets although the chipmunks don't seem to care that they break off pieces when digging in the moist soil of the planter.
it will bloom spring through fall and the foliage will persist if not allowed to dry out. the sage-green colored foliage grows to about 15" tall with the flower spikes just a bit higher.
 photo P1010020_zps3112a165.jpg
 photo P1010012_zpsde6d9e1b.jpg
 photo P1010016_zpsc9ad2d02.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a pretty but fragile native wildflower

moving down.

o

Jeff, thanks for sharing the nice pictures. I wish more folks on this forum would do posts with pics.

o

I like that. Are they sold anywhere or did you find in the wild?

o

Oh cool, if I saw that foliage, I'd probably evict the plant. Glad I took a look at this. Probably not everything I pull is the weed I think it is.

o

i bought it from a box store garden center. it (2 roots) was bagged in milled sphagnum in the bulb display, just next to the box of d. spectabilis. chipmunks destroyed one plant but this one survived and does well for me.
i have never come across one of these in a natural setting. it may be endangered or possibly like they say about certain other plants such as lady's slipper orchids or trout lilies - uncommon except where locall abundant.
so purple, are you saying it looks like one of your garden weeds? :-)

o

At a glance, I would think it was Celandine, if I'm conjuring the right name for a yellow-flowered weed. I will have to pay more attention to those boxed "bulbs" if this plant would be happy down here also. What are the conditions where your plant is? Looks great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here