Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daffodillady

Just seen my first dark pink crinum

daffodillady
15 years ago

I went to Calera today to take my daughter's pup to the vet to be spayed. In Calera there is a little house with a row of the commonly seen white with soft pink stripes crinum, in the front yard. At the end of her row there was two or three beautiful dark pink or reddish crinum. My question: do the other colors/varieties of crinum appear to be as hardy as the white with soft pink? Why are they not commonly seen?

Comments (12)

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but this is intriguing. I might have to drive over to Calera just to see that myself. (I live pretty close) and I have been curious about the dark ones. I have only seen the darker ones in pictures.

Kay

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

I have a friend that has some of the dark wine colored ones. His seem to be very prolific. I need to go dig some of them up, don't I. :)
    I have a photo of one that is blooming in my garden now and I don't know which it is. A friend gave it to me and this is the first time it's bloomed. If anyone knows which one it is please let me know. TIA
    {{gwi:364704}}
    Jan

• daffodillady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That looks like the same one I have...I think it is called "Milk and Wine"....they are gorgeously in bloom all around my area right now. I love to see them planted in long thick rows.

• roseyp8255
    15 years ago

yes Jan you SHOULD go get US some of the dark ones! :)

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

Rosey, did you give me the crinum I posted above? I can't remember where I got it. It's not like the usual ones you see with larger wine colored stipes in them. It is mostly white with just a hint of a pinkish wine stripe.
    Jan

• roseyp8255
    15 years ago

I think so - i know i gave you one and i do have the milk and wine.

• Bamateacha
    15 years ago

What a beautiful bloom! I'll have to look for some crinum to add to our garden.

-Sharon

• kabby_z8
    15 years ago

Hi all, the crinum probably in question is Ellen Bosanquet. It is one of the more common hybrids.

{{gwi:364705}}
    {{gwi:364706}}
    Jan your crinum is breathtaking!

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

Kabby....so is yours! I think that is the one my friend has. You don't see them often around here...guess I need to load up my shovel and pay him a visit!! :)
    Jan

• daffodillady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yep, that looks like the one that I seen in Calera.... another beauty for my wish list...LOL!!

• lsmcw
    15 years ago

Ooooh! Ooooh! I got one of these at the Fall Trade - now I can't WAIT for it to bloom. Can't remember who I traded with but THANK YOU! Linda

• amyta
    15 years ago

I have one planted in a pot on my deck and it's just beautiful. Personally I think they're prettier than the others. It sends up 2 stems of flowers but not at the same time.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations