Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just seen my first dark pink crinum

Posted by daffodillady 7b/8a central AL (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 08 at 13:13

I went to Calera today to take my daughter's pup to the vet to be spayed. In Calera there is a little house with a row of the commonly seen white with soft pink stripes crinum, in the front yard. At the end of her row there was two or three beautiful dark pink or reddish crinum. My question: do the other colors/varieties of crinum appear to be as hardy as the white with soft pink? Why are they not commonly seen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just seen my first dark pink crinum

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but this is intriguing. I might have to drive over to Calera just to see that myself. (I live pretty close) and I have been curious about the dark ones. I have only seen the darker ones in pictures.

Kay

o

I have a friend that has some of the dark wine colored ones. His seem to be very prolific. I need to go dig some of them up, don't I. :)
I have a photo of one that is blooming in my garden now and I don't know which it is. A friend gave it to me and this is the first time it's bloomed. If anyone knows which one it is please let me know. TIA

Jan

o

That looks like the same one I have...I think it is called "Milk and Wine"....they are gorgeously in bloom all around my area right now. I love to see them planted in long thick rows.

o

yes Jan you SHOULD go get US some of the dark ones! :)

o

Rosey, did you give me the crinum I posted above? I can't remember where I got it. It's not like the usual ones you see with larger wine colored stipes in them. It is mostly white with just a hint of a pinkish wine stripe.
Jan

o

I think so - i know i gave you one and i do have the milk and wine.

o

What a beautiful bloom! I'll have to look for some crinum to add to our garden.

-Sharon

o

Hi all, the crinum probably in question is Ellen Bosanquet. It is one of the more common hybrids.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Jan your crinum is breathtaking!

o

Kabby....so is yours! I think that is the one my friend has. You don't see them often around here...guess I need to load up my shovel and pay him a visit!! :)
Jan

o

Yep, that looks like the one that I seen in Calera.... another beauty for my wish list...LOL!!

o

Ooooh! Ooooh! I got one of these at the Fall Trade - now I can't WAIT for it to bloom. Can't remember who I traded with but THANK YOU! Linda

o

• Posted by amyta z8 mid GA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 12, 08 at 10:25

I have one planted in a pot on my deck and it's just beautiful. Personally I think they're prettier than the others. It sends up 2 stems of flowers but not at the same time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here