Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No Japanese Beetles this year?

Posted by john_trussville z7b AL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 14:07

I just realized it's already the third week in June and I haven't seen the first one.......not that I'm complaining or missing the destructive little SOBs.

Has anyone else seen any? Has our cooler than average spring just delayed them perhaps, or could there be another reason?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No Japanese Beetles this year?

Oh yeah, they came up out of the ground here about a week ago. I don't have many, but even so the full herd has not yet woken up, I think.

o

I've seen one, so maybe the numbers are down. But I have yet to find SVB damage -- my squash have lived longer than any year previous.

o

Insect changes I've noted - way more ants and fireflies this year, and mosquitoes (no surprise there, with all the wet weather). Tons of tiny beneficial wasps, but I have a lot of chamomile, parsley, etc attracting them, too. I haven't seen JB's or SVB's yet either, and my population of those annoying orange wasps seems to be way down, but I suspect that all three will show up more soon - it hasn't been hot enough long enough yet.

o

I've seen a few this week. I think they are late because we had cool weather till the beginning of June.

Susan

o

I haven't seen any Japanese Beetles this year and have seen very few over the last ten years or so. I, too, have seen more fireflies this year than I have in a while. Wonder why that is?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here