Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
browneyedsusan_gw

Clerodendrum bungei

browneyedsusan_gw
18 years ago

Nelson and Tony,

I got this plant from one of you at the fall swap. It is doing really well in partial shade in my yard. However, I found a thread on the Georgia forum about how invasive it can be. I would like to know what your experiences have been with this plant. I like the look of it very much and will keep it in a pot if you think it necessary.

Thanks,

Susan.

Comments (11)

• tony_pman
    18 years ago

It is very invasive. It is one of the plants that I like the best even if I have to pull them up all over. I have them all over my garden. I don't know if they spread because I am allways moving plants around or they would spread anyways. I think everyone in our regular swap group has gotten one from me. I would say they are all over Al. They do make a good pot plant. I have some in pots and they do good. After the flower has faded, cut it off and get rid of it. That should keep it under control. Sorry Susan, If you got something that you want like from me.

• nonacook
    18 years ago

It will go completely wild, and is very hard to control here in NW Florida. The flower is beautiful, and my Grandma brought it here sometime in the mid 1960's ( she died in 1967). I have been fighting it since my husband retired from the Navy in 1982, and it just seems to be getting worse! I sprayed it with 'triple strike' this morning. Maybe that will do the job. I do HATE to use poisons , but pulling just doesn't do very much good. I have tried that for years and think I have it all and it comes right back. It's 2nd on my list right after Bermuda grass!

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

Does it spread by roots or seeds? I got some from Tony two years ago but kept it in a pot. Late last summer, I planted it in the ground. I'm not worried about it spreading by roots because I believe in Round-up BRUSH killer when needed. I will be sure to dead-head to prevent seed distribution. We like the flowers and we like the peanut butter smell of the plant.

• BDnBAMA
    18 years ago

Tony, Do you have any of these plants to trade? I have over 300 varieties of hybrid daylilies so I may have something you want. I have a 4 acre yard & plenty of places I would like to put a plant that is a good spreader. Let me know if you are interested. I am in St Clair Co. Betty

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Pics

• tony_pman
    18 years ago

Hi BDnBAMA, I have lots of them. I have about 100 daylilys, so you know that you have aleast 200 plants I would like. I also have 4 different tall P. Sunflowers that are good clumpers. I have about 40 different canna. I trade from my yard ever day. I also sale plants. My gardenweb plant swaper are never offered plants for sale, we trade.If you are in Birmingham, you are invited to visit. People don't belive that you can get as my plants on a such a small place. If you are interested, let me know. I will send directions.

• catbird
    18 years ago

The Clerodendrum (aka Harlequin Glorybower) spreads by runners primarily and lots of those, but I love it and so do the hummingbirds and butterflies! It does form a glorious bower of fragrant flowers in the summer. Birds also love the seeds, but I haven't noticed any plants coming up from those. I got my plant from a cousin and it makes a great pass-along plant. Just warn the recipient to plant it where there's lots of room or some containment for the roots.

• tweetypye
    18 years ago

I also have the Harlequin Glorybower, and love it. It does spread by underground roots, but I just pull the little ones, without too much trouble. The small tree is worth the effort. When it flowers in late summer, the entire garden smells heavenly! Similar to jasmine. I occasionally pot up some of the "babies" and give them to friends with the understanding that they need to plant them where they can mow around them, thereby cutting down the suckers, or do what I do, just pull them out. :) They make excellent understory trees if you have a wooded area also.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, everyone! Tony, I love the plant and I thank you for it. I think I will leave it where it is and pull up/spray suckers if it gets out of control.

Susan.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

And how did that work out for you?

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It kept popping up everywhere, sometimes over thirty feet from the parent plant. I sprayed it with roundup and got rid of it.
    Susan.

• topsiebeezelbub
    12 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but it seems that several different plants are being discussed here and it may be confusing. Clerodendron bungei Variegata is a plant I long for, but would not be hardy in my zone 7. It is a herbacious pereniel and not the peanut butter tree or Glory bower.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!