Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queenbee52_gw

hawaiian white ginger planting

QueenBee52
18 years ago

my friend got me some hawaiian white ginger from her moms. i have browsed the net but found no particular planting instructions. sun-part sun-shade? should i plant the entire thing- foilage and all- or just the ginger root part? this is my husbands favorite flower so i really want it to do well. thanks

Comments (7)

• eken9966
    18 years ago

I usually plant my butterfly gingers with the rhizomes a couple of inches below the surface of the ground. This helps to keep them from falling over while they are getting established.

I have better results when I give the butterfly gingers morning sun and afternoon shade or full sun morning and evening but shade thru the midday hours. I also have some growing in almost full sun. They grow into a stockier plant that way, but they just aren't as nice looking. No matter which, they are bound to multiply and then you can put them in lots of locations until you find one they really like.

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

Eken gives good advice. The ginger bloom is like ice cream, they seem to melt in the hot sun. Give them afternoon shade if possible.

• QueenBee52
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks a bunch guys. i think i have just the spot!

• lsmkw7
    16 years ago

Hawaiian ginger bulbs grew great! Now what? Do I cut down the dead stalks at the level of earth? A few inches above? What else do they need? I need all of the help I can get!

• kabby_z8
    16 years ago

You can probably just pull the dead stalks off of the rhizomes for easy cleanup. If your rhizomes have become exposed overground, cover them up lightly with soil. Hedychiums love water and fertilizer once they have become established. If you water too much before they get going good the rhizomes will rot.
    I have most of my hedys in full sun because they do get plenty of water. Those that have too much shade have less than good results for me.

• hulalady56
    11 years ago

Brought my "hawaiian white ginger in 2 weeks ago and it is doing fantastic, never thought I could grow this plant here in Ohio, just ordered a red ginger plant...hope it does just as well

• hummerbob722
    2 years ago

I lived in Galveston county Texas and have clay soil. I planted Pink ginger, butterfly ginger and shampoo or pine cone ginger. Each rhizome was about 6 inches long. I ended up with over 150 sq feet of ginger plants. It was planted under an elm tree (moderate shade, on the west side of the house under the eaves(dew drip every A.M. and in clay pots. It all did very well including coming back after a 23 degree week of freezing weather! I have now moved to Florida and wish I had brought some rhizomes with me!!!

Sponsored