Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hawaiian white ginger planting

Posted by QueenBee52 z8 SE AL (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 19, 05 at 14:17

my friend got me some hawaiian white ginger from her moms. i have browsed the net but found no particular planting instructions. sun-part sun-shade? should i plant the entire thing- foilage and all- or just the ginger root part? this is my husbands favorite flower so i really want it to do well. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hawaiian white ginger planting

I usually plant my butterfly gingers with the rhizomes a couple of inches below the surface of the ground. This helps to keep them from falling over while they are getting established.

I have better results when I give the butterfly gingers morning sun and afternoon shade or full sun morning and evening but shade thru the midday hours. I also have some growing in almost full sun. They grow into a stockier plant that way, but they just aren't as nice looking. No matter which, they are bound to multiply and then you can put them in lots of locations until you find one they really like.

o

Eken gives good advice. The ginger bloom is like ice cream, they seem to melt in the hot sun. Give them afternoon shade if possible.

o

thanks a bunch guys. i think i have just the spot!

o
RE: hawaiian ginger

Hawaiian ginger bulbs grew great! Now what? Do I cut down the dead stalks at the level of earth? A few inches above? What else do they need? I need all of the help I can get!

o

You can probably just pull the dead stalks off of the rhizomes for easy cleanup. If your rhizomes have become exposed overground, cover them up lightly with soil. Hedychiums love water and fertilizer once they have become established. If you water too much before they get going good the rhizomes will rot.
I have most of my hedys in full sun because they do get plenty of water. Those that have too much shade have less than good results for me.

o

Brought my "hawaiian white ginger in 2 weeks ago and it is doing fantastic, never thought I could grow this plant here in Ohio, just ordered a red ginger plant...hope it does just as well

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here