Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamasue_gw

Help!! Bird in love with my car mirrors!!

bamasue
14 years ago

For the past 4 days an Eastern Towhee has alternately lighted on both side view mirrors, fluttered in the mirrors, dropped residue everywhere and then repeats the whole process over and over again! I have tried wrapping both mirrors...so then it flits along the windshield wipers, views itself, and continues to drop its business there. I tried moving my vehicle to a different location. Ha! It was found quickly. I planted a hand held mirror further out in the yard. Bird not interested and unknowing neighbors thought I was nuts! I'm so frustrated having to clean up its mess off the car finish in this heat!! Please, please suggest some solution for this crazed bird's problem! It's OK to laugh and joke! We've already been there with friends/co-workers!! Now, I just need some real help....quickly!! Thanks, Sue

Comments (12)

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

It is usually the males who do this. They are trying to run off rival suitors. The easiest way I know to discourage this Don Juan is to use some drawstring garbage bags to cover the mirrors and a large garbage bag to cover the windshield. Use some of that blue painters tape to hold down the garbage bagon the windshield. Also park in the shade if possible. The glass becomes less of a mirror.

• bamasue
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are spot on with your gender assessment. I just didn't know why. Don Juan is still present and fluttering about other windows now. I will re-park the car, follow the shade, and pray for a quick end to mating season. Strangest behavior I've ever witnessed from my kitchen window. Thanks so much for your help! Sue

• jeff_al
    14 years ago

it might be easier to just get a car tarp(cover) and use that rather than taping bags on the vehicle. seems like that would be a chore to apply and remove each time you need to drive.
    as a last resort, move to a country place like loachapoka...our bucolic birds are not nearly as narcissistic! *lol*

• bamasue
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Jeff, a tarp was my initial thought and that may be the only answer now. At this point no matter what I do this guy is NOT giving up. He's now found the moon roof and likes it as the roof top provides an easier footing I guess. I've drawn a neighborhood crowd who can't believe what they're seeing! So, I'm thinking digicam for America's Funniest Home Videos or better yet just encourage this guy to emigrate from Auburn to Loach so your bucolic birds can take him "under wing" so to speak for some re-training! Short of that, if anyone knows the exact time/date to the end of mating season, let me know!! Oh, I also apologize for posting here in AL gardening...but, hey, it's an AL bird and when tired of looking at himself he hangs in my big azaleas nearby!! Sue & the bird-brain wish you all well!! LOL!!

• terramadre
    14 years ago

Welcome to bird watching in AL ;-)

Eastern Towhee, male

{{gwi:358139}}

Female

{{gwi:358140}}

• bamasue
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah, Terramadre, I'm so happy you posted pictures!! He is a handsome fella for sure. Have yet to see the female anywhere! Thank you!

• rgrace
    14 years ago

So that is where they went, we had a bird doing something similar last year. Except she did not appear to be in love with the mirror. She was in a very motherly mood. Feeding worms and berries to our mirror. Talk about a mess. And if you left your windows cracked, you would have fun in the morning cleaning up the seats.

• Lori Lehnhardt
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have had a male Eastern Towhee jumping at the mirror on my back patio almost every day for a year and a half now, sometimes all day long! He also bounces at my car mirror, and sometimes on the barbecue grill. We named him "Mirror Bird." (Rock Hill, SC) I have never seen more than one of these birds in my yard at a time!

• Lori Lehnhardt
    8 years ago

I posted pics, but not seeing them. Maybe they have to be reviewed before posting.

• andrew Central Al
    8 years ago

We have had a mocking bird jumping on our Kitchen bay window and screen for hours at a time at certain times of the year the past two or three years. I also noticed the same bird eating on the red berries from the tree/bush outside the same window. After a posting I read I figured out the berries must be fermented and the bird was possibly intoxicated.

• Sue Robinson
    7 years ago

my neighbors & I are dealing with this now only it's a little sparrow....it's the same sparrow who has been walking around more than flying all winter. It flies to the scrub trees on our property line & sits & then comes down to my neighbors car. When she leaves it goes to mine, mine leaves it goes to my other neighbor. We all live in close proximity. All other times it stays at my neighbors chimney....Long , silver & very reflective. It also pecks at our house windows & all windows of the cars. The poop is ridiculous. Two of us have bags on our mirrors but it doesn't much help as it goes to the other windows. It's a pain in the butt having to either wash the car or remove & retie the bags all the time. I tried putting a mirror on the end of the deck, where the bird can surely see it but it hasn't worked yet. We are going crazy! P.S. I tried the mirror in our tree where the bird feeders are but removed it as a woodpecker darn near drove itself crazy by flitting at it for a solid afternoon. Worried about it harming itself I removed it. At wits end in Nova Scotia.Bird vs mirror

• jeff_al
    7 years ago

a couple of things to try: print a photo of a bird of prey and attach to the inside of the windows by the mirrors (this worked for me dealing with an eastern phoebe) or place one of those statues of an owl with the bobbing head (found in garden centers) on the hood of the vehicle. this works if you move it to a different position daily. the statues with the fixed head and eyes are not as effective.

Sponsored