Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tufaleaf

tiller

tufaleaf
17 years ago

Has anyone tried the famous little tiller that supposedly turns even the worst garden soil into the "best"? With all the clay and rocks we have, does this little machine work here in Alabama? I'd do anything to have nice flower beds that didn't have to be raised beds.

Carol

Comments (10)

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

I haven't tried one but you can't turn clay into loam with any kind of tiller. I have an 8 hp tiller that will turn almost any soil, but the clay still packed down from year to year. Just look at the commercial. That soil they are turning at such a fast rpm rate is as light and fluffy as used coffee grounds.

• tndaisy
    17 years ago

I love mine!!!! I'm 5'1" and have arthritis. The tiller cranks easily, is light enough for me to carry, and I could use my post hole diggers as a trellis, because I even use the tiller for that [digging holes]. It works on the soil like a blender- yes, it does make it light/fluffy. Got mine from an ebay store. Fine piece of engineering.

• tufaleaf
    Original Author
    17 years ago

One pro, one con. Any other comments? Daisy, what is your soil like in TN where you live? I live at the top of a mountain and I do believe all the top soil has washed down to the foot of the mountain! I'm basically red clay and chirt!
    Carol

• bama_hosta_man
    17 years ago

I've had the electric version for 18 months. I chose it since I've got a poor track record with performing timely maintenance. My property is wooded but cleared next to the house. Where it is cleared, it is primarily chert and clay. I have been very pleased with the tiller. There are times when it bounces due to the rocks but it also has the flexibility for me to pick it up and place it in the center of an established bed and mix in amendments or dig a hole for a new plant.

• tufaleaf
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I wasn't aware of the electric version! Hmmmm...I'm thinking either electric or gas powered will make a great Christmas present (ladies have to plan ahead!)

Thanks for the info!
    c

• tndaisy
    17 years ago

I live at the foot of a mountain, near a gap cut through by water. I don't have chirt, I have good soil and river rock. The tiller does bounce off the big rocks [think bronco riding!] [or what I imagine bronc' riding would be like] Mine was a birthday present to me!

• jennifer21
    17 years ago

what is chert/chirt? not a typo?

• catbird
    17 years ago

The tiller's one step in making better soil from clay, but use it to work in lots of compost and some coarse sand (not fine sandbox sand which will turn it into concrete). Better yet, do a "lasagna" bed: cover the ground with a layer of sand, 10 layers or so of newspaper covered with wood chips, grass clippings, anything organic you have. Let that sit for a season or two and either plant right into it as is or, if it's pretty well decomposed, till it into the soil. Keep adding wood chips or other organic mulch every year and you'll have much better soil.

If your mountain property slopes enough that the organic matter washes away, make terraces with some of those rocks and fill them with good topsoil or lots of compost to work into your clay.

• fredw10
    17 years ago

The Stihl tiller is the greatest thing since sliced bread and better than the Mantis. None of the small ones will handle rocks and large roots.

• tufaleaf
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I haven't even looked at the Stihl!
    I have done some lasagna gardening and was totally surprised at how well it really works! And it brings earthworms galore - BIG ones that startle me when I dig. I hadn't even thought about trying it for my new llloooonnnggg flower border/bed that I will not plant until next year anyway. Well, Fall at the earliest and then just the basics.

I will check on other brands of tillers. I really need one that I can handle myself - middle-aged, short, slightly over-weight female!

Chert/Chirt is clay that has mostly tiny rock particles in it. It is hard, compacted and impossible to garden. Imagine concrete that has been broken up into a million tiny pieces. You now have a semblance of chert (smile).

Carol

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!