Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID red flowering tree please

Posted by daffodillady 7b/8a central AL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 08 at 15:49

Okay, gardening friends.....several days ago I visited with a lady that had a tree about 15 ft tall with leaves resembling a magnolia, except that they were a brighter green and not waxy looking. The neat part was the large bright red buds that covered it on the ends of the branches. It was growing in a medium shade spot. She did not know what it's name was. I tried to google it, but could not find anything resembling it. Any ideals what it is? Hugs, Beth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID red flowering tree please

Could it be Florida anise?
http://duncannurseries.com/images/SHRUBS/Florida-Anise.jpg

o

The buds were not open, but appeared to be much larger than the anise flowers.

o

Just had a report that some of the Magnolia soulangiana, Tulip Magnolias are in bud again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Images

o

Yes, I have tulip magnolias re-blooming.

o

does she live near you?
was thinking that it might be something more tropical if she lives in a warmer zone. i am drawing a blank trying to think of a summer flowering tree with large, red buds in a midlatitude zone.

o

I live between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa. The tree in question is about 8 miles from me. The owner is out of town for two weeks but I will try to get a picture of itwhen she comes home. I don't think the flowers looks like any of the pictures I have seen, but, I did not get a closeup look at it.

o

Oh, pumpernickel!! The owner called me today and told me that the tree is no longer in bloom!! I guess the storm the other night knocked the flowers off :-( Well, that will leave me with an ID mystery for next year...LOL!! Thanks, all, for the input.....:-)

o

If we had good images of the leaves, branches, and maybe even the trunk, I'll bet we could ID it!

o

Because my neighbor used to have a tree like this with such red blooms,
my guess is flowering pomegranate, punica granatum.

Here is a link that might be useful: flowering pomegranate

o

• Posted by josh z8a (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 12:26

I think Tevedore id'd it...my potted dwarf Pomegranate has had blooms for 2-3 weeks. josh

o

Lynn had a spectacular Pomegranate, about 10-12 ft. tall, in full flower at the time of the spring swap.

Susan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here