Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikru_gw

aphids and beans (and SVBs)

MiKru
10 years ago

Hi all:

I'm growing long beans for the first time and just today found the famous ant/aphid combination that seems to go hand-in-hand with growing these beans. As usual, google is full of contradictory information, so I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with this -- do you think the beans will grow despite the ants/aphids or do I need to take some action here.

There seems to be a lot of them.

Anyone lose squash to SVBs yet? I'm trying new varieties and have already eaten more squash and zuccs than in summers past. No sign of damage yet, but I know it's coming.

Comment (1)

• alabamanicole
    10 years ago

With aphids, it really depends. A few aphids are no big deal. Some aphid predation will signal the other plants to start producing anti-aphid chemicals, and possibly attract predators. If you have a modest infestation AND you see predators at work, I'd take a stance of watchful waiting. Sometimes dry hot weather takes care of it anyway.

If you have a serious infestation, though, I would spray the aphids with neem oil. That will take out most of the population; perhaps enough to break the cycle and get the ants to stop farming them, so the predators you have can keep up.

Don't repeat too many neem oil applications; it's not good for the plants. If neem doesn't work, you may want to move to a stronger pesticide... being of course careful not to kill any bees or beneficials.

For my garden, it's way too early for SVB to show. I was decimated last year. Other than my zukes, I only grow C. moschata now, though.

Sponsored