Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bermuda grass invading my Zoysia

Posted by mosscove 35634 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 16:09

Is there any way I can eliminate the bermuda grass that is trying to take over my Zoysia? Aside from digging up the whole yard?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bermuda grass invading my Zoysia

• Posted by nelson 7b in Alabama (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 28, 10 at 23:27

I wish I had an answer. Bermuda is invading the expensive St. Augustine lawn I installed, as well as my flower beds.

I choose not to use herbicides since I have several cats that munch on anything that looks like a grass blade. I've dealt with one cat who ingested poison (whether it was a weed or weed killer), and it's too, too, much of an expence. When the manufacturer of the herbicide I was using couldn't guarantee it's safety, I deemed it way too much of a potential expense to continue it's use.

I just waste a lot of time pulling weeds (primarily Bermuda grass).

Nelson

o

I find this interesting. Most of my lawn is assorted weeds and grasses including bermuda, centipede, and other -- but the section on the other side of the driveway (concrete) next to the neighbor is solid St. Augustine which has spread. The bermuda and even the creeping charlie can't compete -- the only thing that can is patches of mondo grass I see in my neighbor's lawn.

I wonder if it is site specific or that the St. Augustine is old and very well established? I was thinking of taking plugs this fall and starting to seed the other side, but if it isn't going to take over it might not be worth the effort.

(But I am kinda partial to creeping charlie... if it would just finish conquering my lawn I wouldn't ever have to mow again.)

o

Nicole: It would be hard to establish the St. A in the other side of your driveway unless you can kill off everything (including the creeping charlie) first, then mulch between the plugs and spread preemerge herbicide to keep the weeds from getting a new foothold. If you just love weeding, you could skip the herbicide, but my choice would be to keep applying it every spring and fall till the grass fills in.

o

My land slopes into a stream, so random spraying of chemicals is a no-go.

So I guess I'll keep rooting for the creeping charlie's attempt at yard domination. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here