Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumerias at Meyer's Nursery - Pelham

Posted by john_trussville z7b AL (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 16:40

Plumerias are rarely found for sale in nurseries around B'ham, but Meyer's currently has about a dozen, locally grown, for sale. They're all around a foot or two tall (plus pot) and very healthy-looking. Some have branched, some even have buds forming. Right now it's a guess as to what color though, either white, pink, or yellow. He has them priced at $20 - $45.

Just thought I'd pass it along in case anyone else has been looking for this beautiful, exotic tropical.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumerias at Meyer's Nursery - Pelham

I visited the Anniston museum, and they have an outdoor tropical garden, and it includes some plumerias!
did you know if you wrap them with plastic, they can survive our winters??

This makes me excited because I've wanted plumerias myself for quite some time.

o

No, I'm sorry but plumeria will NOT survive a zone 7B winter merely wrapped in plastic. Please don't try that, they will not make it through a winter here. I'm sure that any at the Anniston museum are dug & wintered indoors. Just google "plumeria care" & read up.

o

I got 2 cuttings from a friend in Fountain, FL (just NE of PCB) and she said they must be put in her greenhouse. Don't Plumerias bloom on old wood? I was told on the Plumeria forum that the roots may survive in the ground here, but if frost kills the tops, there will be no blooms. Still in anticipation - as long as they smell good, any color is fine! Did anyone get any at the store mentioned above?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here