Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catbird_gw

Send us your excess rain!!!

catbird
11 years ago

Wish you gardeners who're washing away in South AL could send some rain this way, We're about to dry up and blow away -- and the forecast for the foreseeable future is 95+/- degrees and 0% chance of rain. :-(

Comments (21)

• alabamanicole
    11 years ago

There's a small chance of rain tomorrow, and then late next week. Even if it does rain, it probably won't be nearly enough.

My yard is crispy. About the only thing holding up is the St. Augustine that has long since invaded from my neighbor's yard (but can't cross the driveway) and the clover.

The established landscape stuff is okay but I don't think the star magnolia I planted this spring is going to make it even with the deep soaking I've been giving it. The clethra anifolia's both gave up the ghost weeks ago so I don't think that's related to the dryness.

I'm glad the veggie garden has drip irrigation, and I can use my rainwater tanks for much of the watering I've done. I haven't need to water too much but I don't anything would be left if I hadn't watered at all.

• drippy
    11 years ago

Crispy here, too - I don't water any lawn space, only my gardens. Trying to conserve as much as possible, so I'm not watering much. Sometimes what I think is absolutely dead in a season comes back the next year.

My Joe Pye weed is budding - what's with that? Isn't that a fall plant? If this weather keeps up, I won't have anything blooming in another month.

On the plus side, I took in a fairly good garlic harvest this past week.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

The only effects of Debby here so far have been wind, clouds and MUCH cooler temps. The high yesterday was 83. Amazing but only a brief drizzle, maybe .00001 inch. Didn't even get wet under the trees.

The rain keeps falling apart a few miles south of here. I didn't even jinx it by putting potted plants in the yard to get wet. Pout!

• catbird
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Drippy: Most of my fall plants are blooming --Autumn Glory sedum, mums, and others. The oak leaf hydrangeas bloomed several weeks ago. Guess we just won't have fall this year.

• topsiebeezelbub
    11 years ago

Yes my asters and boltonia are blooming already...I think they know they may die soon. A couple years ago the drought killed big bushes that were over 10 years old; oak leaf hydrangeas, deutzias, forsythias, arbor vitaes...I mistakenly thought established shrubs would survive,but nope.

• catbird
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yikes! Just looked at the 10 day forecast: 7 consecutive days of 100+ degrees, 0 rain!! We're already parched. It's going to be impossible to keep everything alive. Hate to think what our water bill will be this month. :-(

• alabamanicole
    11 years ago

I checked my garden yesterday and it's still quite moist underneath from the soaking I gave it last Wednesday, so that's good.

I saw someone watering their garden with a lawn sprinkler at high noon yesterday. Maybe that's the only time they had to water, but their water bill is going to really hurt if they keep that up!

Catbird, get you some rainwater tanks. If you have gutters already, it's pretty easy and not expensive to do. Mine fill up in the winter and spring and then I can use the water when we hit our dry summer.

• catbird
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nicole: We have a couple of rain barrels, but haven't had a chance to put them up yet. The problem with rain barrels in years like this is that you have to have rain to refill them from time to time. :-(

• alabamanicole
    11 years ago

I have 550 gallons of capacity, so I'm good during the summer, at least I have been so far.

I was surprised at how fast they fill up when I get rain, and I have them hooked up to only one downspout.

• madabouteu
    11 years ago

I planted my star magnolia in November, so far it looks fine but the nearby fig is starting to look a bit peaked. I think I better give it a long drink, and at the same time I might as well sok the magnolia. Meanwhile, I better start giveing the winter squash, in containers, 2 galloms a day instead of just one!

• sundog7
    11 years ago

Sixteen days since the last raindrop fell on my yard, and the forecast holds very little hope for rain in the next week. I've been watering, but pretty soon my job is going to take me out of town again for a week at a time.

I just hope to make it through the summer without losing too many of my plants.

• catbird
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sundog: Good luck. I guess it's going to be a struggle for everyone north of the coast, even if we're in town all the time. We're going to spend one day picking up our granddaughter and will have to take the 3 dogs to doggy day care (i.e. the vets) so they won't fry if the temp gets up to 106 as forecast!

• Bamatufa
    11 years ago

Its hot and dry! My car thermomeer read 105 today on my way home from work.

• catbird
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We drove to Commerce GA today to pick up our granddaughter and the car thermometer read 107 on the way back. We left the three dogs at the vets for the day because it was too hot to leave them outside and we were going to be gone too long to leave them inside. Our sunny border is fried! Will water early in the morning and hope some of it survives.

• drippy
    11 years ago

Big time water restriction here - Monday and Wednesday only from midnight to 4 a.m. (like I'm awake then, yahhh. Well, time for timers, I guess). Not being able to water from Wednesday until the following Monday ought to do in what's left of my garden unless we get some rain. Oh well, like we said more years than not in Red Sox Nation, "There's always next year!"

• alabamanicole
    11 years ago

Rain... beautiful slow rain... I'm past 3 1/2" and it's still coming down.

You can thank me for the rain. I watered everything deeply Monday night AND left the hose lying in the yard. Just a little garden voodoo to encourage the rain clouds to stop messing around and let us have some!

• sundog7
    11 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

My usual methods had not worked. You know, washing the car, planning a picnic . . . .

• alabamanicole
    11 years ago

Well, it *could* be that someone left a convertible top down somewhere.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Lovely rain and such a relief. We haven't had a drop until yesterday...and then not the drenching that others had. But, it rained all night and is still doing so. My goodness, the birds are so happy!

• catbird
    Original Author
    11 years ago

From rags to riches. It's coming down in sheets right now. We've had about two inches in the last few days, mostly in a nice drippy rain. Now we may wash away. (That's not a complaint!) Hope the folks up in the TN valley haven't had flooding problems.

• alabamanicole
    11 years ago

5" here and it seems like it will continue to rain on and off for a few days. I really haven't seen any runoff; it's just been soaking in.

For the first time in weeks my beautyberries aren't wilted, and it might have rained in time to save my blueberries & blackberries although I kinda doubt it.

Sponsored