Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madabouteu

Fall swap

madabouteu
13 years ago

I know it is only late June but, having just worked on the Spring swap, I can safely say it is not too soon for someone to start planning the Fall event. Anybody want to get the ball rolling?

BTW, at the next event, I will have a fair number of cacti. Nothing special, just the Lowe's stuff, but in god shape.

Comments (31)

• tedevore
    13 years ago

There was some talk at the last swap of perhaps having the next swap
    to the east/southeast of B'ham area next time. I thought this would be nice, since we have had it in other parts of alabama lately, and it would be closer to Wayne for a change. Wayne is the great plantsman who has supplied us with hostas and goodies for a long time. Alexander city/wind creek state park might work...last time I was there there was not a charge to get in and park near the lake. Just an idea.

Also, some might like to know that last weekend I went on a camping trip and Deb was right there camping with her home-school group that she coordinates. Deb was one of the people who got the gardenweb swaps going, as I remember. She is doing well, but it sounds like she is busier helping take care of her Dad who cannot drive anymore. she says she wants to get back to coming to the swaps and bring her dad, so it would be good to see them.

Todd

• lsmcw
    13 years ago

I'd like to go ahead and set a date, if possible. Fall weekends get booked in a hurry. And I expect we'll need to take into consideration those "football" people - and that might be a consideration concerning Wind Creek on a weekend Auburn is at home. Linda

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

Alabama Polytechnic Institue near Opelika plays Thursday, Sept 9 so Hwy 280 should be clear on Saturday, Oct. 11. After that, there isn't another open Saturday at API near Opelika until Saturday, Oct. 9.

Let me throw this out for thought. Would you consider having the Fall swap at the AU arboretum?

• dnr24
    13 years ago

Just started gardening and I love the idea of a plant swap. What sorts of plants are good to prepare for the fall swap? Bulbs, right? What else?

• madabouteu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There are two reasons, as far as I am concerned, not to have it at the AU arboretum. First, as a two-time grad of the University of Alabama, I probably would become violently ill if I placed a foot on Auburn's campus. Second, I would be in great physical danger, being unable to control my impulse to wear my Bama Championship T-shirt!!!

Seriously, I'd prefer the State Park - A lot less crowded.

DNR, bring anything you want, so long as it's plant related - that includes books, home-made jellies, pots, etc. Just be prepared to have a good time and meet a bunch of nice people!

• catbird
    13 years ago

I, too, am a UA grad but cheer for AU when they're not playing each other and don't mind going to the arboretum. The park and the lake do sound nice, though.

DNR: Don't restrict yourself to bulbs. Anything you can get into a pot alive or anything related to gardening will be welcome. Do try to avoid invasives, though -- no kudzu or privet. ;-)

Alice

• ourhighlandhome
    13 years ago

If we're thinking east Alabama, we could use the input of - not to offend anyone, so alphabetically - Anette, Arlene, Michelle, Sandra and Wayne, who live in and are familiar with the area. I'm sure they could find a place that would be glad to host us.

Wherever we meet, it needs to be near a restaurant that serves a variety of food that would suit everyone, since we'll all need to enjoy a good meal and fellowship before heading home.

Nelson

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

A friend and co-worker who formerly worked in Alex City said Sho-Nuff BBQ over by Central Alabama Community College (CACC)is a real winner and it has been recognized as one of Alabama's outstanding BBQ joints. Google Maps shows it at about 6 miles away. In fact, that is an almost empty strip mall. Maybe we could meet in the parking lot of the shopping center and eat right there. Maybe CACC would let us use an isolated parking lot on a Saturday. Just something to think about. Let me know if I can help in any way.

• tedevore
    13 years ago

I saw something about that BBQ place on a TV show about best barbecue places...sounds like a winner idea to me, Terry. And having it in the mostly empty parking lot sounds like an easy idea. Might be a little hot, but it would work. I've taken my kid to a real nice public park with a nice playground and sports fields and all that in Alex City also. But your suggestion sounds good!

Todd

• catbird
    13 years ago

The BBQ sounds great, but I would still vote for the state park or the city park over hot asphalt. If I'm going to drive that far, I'd like to relax and visit somewhere besides a parking lot, of which we have plenty within a 3 mile drive. ;-)

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

Hey, ain't it a hoot that the redneck, pick-up truck driving fat boy from NASCAR heaven in Hueytown often finds a suggestion for a place to eat? Todd, you are right, the guy who made the suggestion for Sho-Nuff BBQ said he saw it on TV. Let me know if I can help. BTW, there is an antique store in the strip-mall.

• madabouteu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree with Catbird - as I remember, one thing a lot of people like about the spring swap was the shade trees! Plus, I would like to be able to look for some waterworn pebbles for dish gardens.... But the BBQ place is great for lunch.

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    13 years ago

Just set a date and I will be there if I can... I also saw a post for there being two swaps... one north and one south ... so to speak. If it helps others to attend who would not otherwise, I'm in and will travel to as many as possible.

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

I have not been able to come due to everyone wanting it on the first sat. of the month and thats santuck....and this year I took it off to rebuild my shade house..that, to date is still on the ground..LOL BUT if people want to come south, 25 Min's south of Montgomery we could have it here....I live 2 miles off of 65..so it's interstate all the way..I do have a greenhouse or two..we could do pot luck...cover dish etc. I do have a pool if it gets tooooo hot...but please.. NO speedos and/or thongs...LOL LOL LOL Just a thought...

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

Dang, Jody. I was already getting my Speedo out of storage when you said "No Speedo". The city said I couldn't wear my Speedo in the front yard after that terrible accident last year. The city also passed and ordnance about adequately covering certain body parts and covering excessive body parts. I have no idea what they are talking about, do you? Seriously, thanks for the offer. It is something to consider.

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

Poor poor man....If you need your speedo fix...you could come early,and you and your speedo can swim....we don't even have cows next ta us anymore ta see ya...just a passing plane here and there...LOL Oh Kathy Ann told me that my hibiscus is Moy Grand.. looks just like yours but on steroids...LOL

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

I may need to make something clear....I'm offering this as a place to have the swap...I'm not offering to plan,organize and/or worry about the "details". They only thing I'm offering is a place to have it...as if you are planning to have it at a state park or any other place.
    Just FYI..
    Thanks

• catbird
    13 years ago

Personally, I'd prefer to keep our swap north of Montgomery. There's talk on another thread about having a separate swap for those living south of there, but for those of us in the northern part of the state, Wind Creek Park in Alex City would be easier to get to and from.

• madabouteu
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree with Catbird. Two swaps make a lot of sense in a state as big as ours. People as far north as Catbird and I have a tough time going farther south than, say, Montgomery - likewise, it makes no sense to expect people in the far southern parts of Alabama to come way north. Then there are the lucky people who can make it to both swaps!

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

absolutely no worries...I was just offering because I grow unusual,exotics and down write weird stuff.People could go through the GH's and maybe find something they would want..every great gardener loves ta share..LOL But as I said.. NO worries..

• catbird
    13 years ago

So are we to the make-a-decision point? Sounds like Wind Creek is being mentioned the most and that the two dates mentioned so far are Sept. 11 and Oct. 9. Since 9-11 is our anniversary (and now a memorable date for everyone), I will suggest Oct. 9, though I am flexible on that. I don't know anything about Wind Creek and don't pay much attention to football schedules, so those of you who do, chime in.

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

I would like it on a different day,so if people wanted to go to both of them they could. I would like to go to both of them, to see old garden friends and to make new garden friends...I for one don't mind to travel to see friends and share my plants.

• catbird
    13 years ago

What about Sept. 11, then?

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

That sounds great to me...but will you have time for your anniversary? Better yet will your other half be ok with it..LOL
    Has anyone else said anything on the days?

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

I come here every day to see if plans have been completed. Unless there is a need for me to be at work, I plan to attend. Let me know. It would be nice to have the option to attend both swaps.

• tedevore
    13 years ago

Setting the date is always the hardest part. I vote we say Sept. 11th...that is early enough for people who can/want to have the more Southern AL swap at a later date. And I could bring an anniversary plant for catbird :-)

Anybody want to second the motion....and Wayne... since it would be crazy to have it in his direction for once if he couldn't make it.

Todd

• lsmcw
    13 years ago

Sept 11 is good for me. Linda

• catbird
    13 years ago

I'll be there on the 11th -- especially if I get an anniversary plant! ;-)

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

See y'all on the 11th. Google, MSN and other online trip sites can get us to the main gate. Someone please give us directions to the exact area where we will meet and details. Thanks- Terry

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

This is my post from the south swap page...

I'll try to get a trade list up..but it will come down the morning of the swap....bad experience with people wanting ta trade that I don't have a clue on who they are...then they never send stuff....
    Its so darn hot in the GH's to even be in during the day...LOL

I've been getting up between 4-5 in the morning to get in the Gh's before it gets toooo darn hot but even with two 4 ft. fans...it reads 112 during the day...time to get in the pool...LOL

I'll post when I put my trade list up....

thanks Jody

• catbird
    13 years ago

Now that we seem to have settled on Wind Creek Park on 9-11, I figured it was time to retire this thread and start a new one with info on who's coming, etc. Someone needs to figure out a specific place at the park where we can meet. Any Alex City area residents who can help us out? Post it at the new thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: New thread on NoAL swap

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting