Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamamandopickr

Aphids on my Hibiscus?

bamamandopickr
18 years ago

Hey everybody,

I've learned a ton from this place already!!! My questions is about the tiny "bugs" around the buds of my hibiscus. Are these the aphids that everybody is talking about? They are green-yellow in color. On some buds these little bugs completely cover the entire surface. I don't see any obvious damage they are causing, but I'd like some more info. I dusted the plant with Sevin last week because the Japanese beatles were eating the blooms. It didn't seem to affect these little "boogers" though. Thanks.

Comments (5)

• collinw
    18 years ago

Sounds like aphids to me. They suck the plants and if the nfestation is bad enough they will cause deformed and stunted blooms and growth. I usually just spray them off with strong blasts from the water hose. If you are lucky enough to have any lady bugs, they love to feed on aphids.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:365143}}

• carried
    16 years ago

Hey all! I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my hibiscus tree. I bought it sometime this summer and it has been doing great until recently. Within the last month some of the blooms have become smaller and some are deformed. I didn't know if it could be that I have aphids on it. If so I saw that if you spray with a hose that it helps. Does that make them go away or do you have to continously keep spraying?

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

Bama, you have a few choices. Bayer Advanced Multi Insect Killer is a good spray which will not harm your hibiscus leaves. Spray according to the label. Collinw mentioned labybigs which are good but also goo are granddaddy longlegs spiders. They will eat them as well and do an efficient job of cleaning them of the pests. Or, take a quart jar of hot water, drop in 3 or 4 cloves of garlic (crushed). Sit it in the bright sunshine for 4 or 5 days. Strain out the garlic and store in a cool, dark place, tightly sealed. Add a cup of this to a gallon of water and spray the hibiscus. This will get rid of them. Finally, buy a system insecticide and water with it. The bugs suck the moisture and die from the poison in the plants juices.

• TraciPalladino
    10 years ago

Hi team. I thought I had aphids...but mine don't look like your picture. Mine are tiny black flecks that cover the whole flower. I chopped the whole tree down to knee high to get rid of them. Two trees and both came back strong. But these tiny bugs are back! What do i do? When they let a flower bloom, they're as big as a dinner plate. Beautiful large orange flowers edged in yellow.

• TraciPalladino
    10 years ago

Hi team. I thought I had aphids...but mine don't look like your picture. Mine are tiny black flecks that cover the whole flower. I chopped the whole tree down to knee high to get rid of them. Two trees and both came back strong. But these tiny bugs are back! What do i do? When they let a flower bloom, they're as big as a dinner plate. Beautiful large orange flowers edged in yellow.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!