Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

I've Got A Secret !!

tsmith2579
16 years ago

Who remembers the old TV show I've Got A Secret. Garry Moore was the emcee with Bill Cullen, Betsy Palmer, Henry Morgan and Jane Meadows on the celebrity panel. Well I've got some clues for you and y'all need to guess what I have just for you at the Fall plant swap. I planted seeds and germinated almost 400. Some of them were 6 year old seeds. Most were over a year old. I've potted 130 pots with 3 plants per pot. Some have been pooted for over a week and are doing well. I finished potting the last 20 pots tonight. I think I have been extra lucky because these are usually hard to germinate. Any guesses? If these continue to grow, I'm going to share them at the Fall swap.

Comments (55)

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jill is CORRECT. Peonies don't get that tall. It isn't peonies.

• terramadre
    16 years ago

Hibiscus syriacus?

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, Terramadre, it is not hibiscus syriacus.

• rnold5
    16 years ago

How 'bout Mandevilla?

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Confederate rose, Hibiscus mutabilis.

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Barnold and esh_ga, you are both wrong.

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

Wild guess here Roses or hydrangea?

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jill, you are a Love-of-My-Life but you are incorrect again.

• sundog7
    16 years ago

Kudzu?

Just kidding!

I really have no idea.

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not kudzu. Have you ever seen kudzu bloom or more importantly, have you smelled the kudzu bloom. It smells like the best grape jelly you have ever tasted or smelled. You can gather the blooms and make a sweet grape-like jelly from them. Really, no bull!

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

How big are the blooms on it?

• collinw
    16 years ago

Are they hollyhocks?

• kathyinalabama
    16 years ago

Crinum Lily ?

• terramadre
    16 years ago

Loses all its leaves suggests shrubs or trees to me.
    Waist high to 10 feet bothers me as Lagerstroemia can get taller; however, the colors of the blossoms apply ;-)

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm having fun with this one ;-)
    Jill, blooms may be 6 - 10 inches depending on the variety.
    Collinw, they are not hollyhocks.
    Kathy, they are not crinums.
    Terramadre, they are not crape myrtles.

• sundog7
    16 years ago

Rosemary?

I've never grown it, but I've heard it's hard to start from seed. Might be a good challenge, but not now during this drought. I'm not starting anything now.

• tedevore
    16 years ago

Blooms 6-10 inches suggests maybe some type of clematis to me, although there are kinds with much smaller blooms and kinds with colors you don't mention. just a guess.

• kathyinalabama
    16 years ago

Crape Myrtle?

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sundog - Not rosemary
    Ted - not clematis
    Kathy - not crape myrtle, Terremadre had already guessed that (lagerstroemia).

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

LOL LOve this tsmith this is fun. I am going to google my ? and see what comes up. Cheating I guess but this is fun.
    Jill

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Flower color seems wrong, but I'll guess Joe Pye Weed anyway! What the heck.

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

Is it a flowering maple?
    Jill

• squirrellypete
    16 years ago

Hmmm, I'm guessing Rhododendron though I don't know if they're difficult to germinate.

Danielle

• mimidi
    16 years ago

I am anxious to find out what the "Secret Plant" is going to be.

Also tsmith please tell me about the Fall Plant Swap. I have never been able to attend but would like to try this year.

• fredw10
    16 years ago

Angel Trumpet?

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jill, using Google as a resource isn't cheating, it shows you are smart - and it is not flowering maple.

Esh_ga: Me-o-my, it's not joe pye.

Danielle, it isn't rhododendron

Mimidi - to paraphrase the President, my mission has been accomplished. I have piqued your interest in the Fall swap. No details on the Fall swap, yet. Keep watching.

Terramadre, I have small blooms by the greenhouse door and large blooms in the garden; different varieties. BTW, I have at least 6 varieties.

FredW10, no sir, it isn't angel trumpets, although my very large pink one is blooming. - 25

• wannab
    16 years ago

As Arlene Frances would have said---Is it bigger then a bread box?? How about African Daisies??? They are so nice.

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wannab, you are in the spirit but wrong TV show. Arlene Frances was on What's My Line. And yes it is bigger than a breadbox. I don't know of a mature one which could be held in a breadbox, maybe with the exception of early spring.

• birdlady_10
    16 years ago

Terry;Can it be milkweed? The colors are right but the size of the bloom is what has me stumped!

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Terry, I don't suppose it's Oleander is it? Just a wild guess...I really haven't a clue...LOL
    Jan

• mimidi
    16 years ago

Yes you have piqued my interest in the Fall Swap. What is nice is that this year I have a good friend who loves flowers and gardens that would love to go with me. She has been the caregiver for her mother who suffered from Alzheimers(sp) for 10 years and is now ready to take some trips. Her mother passed away a month ago.

I guess I need to go back and read all you posts and look for clues. I really do love a good mystery. Trouble is I always read the end of the book first to see if it worth my time to read the entire thing.

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It isn't milkweed and it isn't oleander.

Mimidi, we look forward to seeing and your friend at the swap.

• sundog7
    16 years ago

Actually Arlene Francis was also on "I've Got A Secret" at least two times.
    May 21, 1962
    Sept 25, 1961

I know television much better than I know flowers. But I'm learning!

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

Is this plant more for indoors or out of course it would have to be trimmed back for indoors. Is it grown in the south as common as crepe m. are? Is it a tree or a bush? //is it a camellia?

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jill, it grows out-doors. It is grown in the south. Unfortunately, it is not grown as commonly as crape myrtle or camellia. I would consider it to be bushy although some varieties grow tall.

• alabamanicole
    16 years ago

Is any part of the plant edible, and if yes, would the average person recognize the edible part?

If not:
    Red buckeye?
    Or some kind of butterfly bush?
    Gardenia?

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Alabamanicole, I'll not say "no", but I'm not aware of anyone consming these varieties in any way. It is not buckeye, butterfly bush or gardenia.

• alabamanicole
    16 years ago

NO, no, I meant those guess if theplants WASN'T edible.

Please, no one go eat a gardenia!

So, is your plant edible or not?

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nicole, the particular variety (varieties) of my "secret plants" are not edible.

• collinw
    16 years ago

Mallow, or hardy hibiscus? Just a guess based on large flowers.

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Collinw !!! As Coach Bryant used to say on his Golden Flake-Coca Cola-Alabama Football Review show - BINGO! Collinw, you are correct. Now you have to come to the Fall swap to collect a few of them.

Hey, thanks to everyone who participated. This thread gave us something to do while it is so hot outside.

Terry

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

I kept thinking hibicus but someone already said that but not hardy hibiscus. Was fun anyways.
    Jill

• loveofmylife680
    16 years ago

Heres the hibicus I have I got this one from debbido
    {{gwi:365252}}

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If you want to see pix of what was in this jar of seeds, go to www.plantdelights.com and search for hibiscus. I have Fantasia, coccineus, Moy Grande, Raspberry rose, one that lloks like Davis Creek, and Disco Belle pink and wine red.

• collinw
    16 years ago

I love hardy hibiscus. I have Disco Belle and a dark red one that are blooming like gangbusters right now. I have rooted them from cuttings but never from seed. Are they particularly difficult to start from seed?

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Terry, do the come true to seed? I know there are so many plants that don't. I have 2 varieties, a pale pink and a white with a red eye. Sure would love some others...maybe I'll be able to make the fall swap this time...I hope so.
    Jan

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Collinw and Jan, I've tried to start hardy hibiscuses from seed several times before with little luck. I have read they are notoriously unreliable. They are in the mallow family and you know how finicky their first cousin okra can be. If the ground is too cool, okra won't sprout. Well, this time I planted them in May in a tray in the greenhouse. The tray of sandy soil had been inside the greenhouse for weeks so the soil was very warm to the touch. When I planted them I broke a vigorous sweat, so it was HOT in the gh. Well, these suckas came up in 3 days. I was very surprised. I think it was the heat. Something else which surprised me was some of the seeds were three years old. They were stored in a clear plastic cube with one of those dessicate things which keeps packaged food dry.

Jan, these are open pollenated so I don't know if the seeds will come true. I can tell you they are growing and as the leaves get larger I can see distinctive differences in leaf shapes. I fertilized them Saturday and they were greener today and seemed to have grown overnight. I can hardly wait for blooms because there is no telling what combinations we may get.

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

LOL...isn't it exciting...almost like waiting for your children to be born!!! That's the way I feel about hybridizing my daylilies...just can't wait till they bloom to see what I've got!!!! Thanks for answering my question, and hope to see you at the swap.
    Jan

• roseyp8255
    16 years ago

oh Terry you know i want some of these "secret" plants....and yes, i plan to be at the plant swap.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting