Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

Bradford Pear

drippy
13 years ago

Today one of two large Bradford pear trees the previous owner of our property planted split - about a 5th of it fell on our fence. There was a rainstorm here, but very little wind. It was pretty creepy, as I'd just mowed the lawn out there an hour or two earlier.

The reading I've done says they're fragile trees, and subject to splitting. We were thinking of taking them down in time and replacing them with actual fruit-bearing trees; now it looks like we have to do it sooner rather than later.

Anyone have any recommendations for tree removal service in the Huntsville area?

Thanks in advance,

Kim

Comments (10)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

The tree service most often recommended by my husband and/or me for commercial or residential jobs is Tree Tech. Owner Wade Coshatt is a terrific arboricultural professional...hard working, knowledgeable, honest. He is also ISA certified. I cannot speak highly enough of him.

Another very good tree company is Joe Webster Tree Care. We use these folks, too. Also ISA certified.

There is a third ISA certified company in Huntsville,Old Town Tree. I am not personally familiar with them, but we may have just never crossed paths.

ISA certification is important. It takes a fair amount of studying and knowledge to achieve the status. Certification won't guarantee the quality or honesty of your tree service, but at the very least you can be certain that the individual has been exposed to proper arboricultural practices, and that they keep up to date in the field. Be sure that you look for ISA CERTIFICATION, not just membership into the association.

Tree REMOVAL isn't as technical a job as other tree tasks, however. If you decide to go with one of the many (non certified) 'tree guys' in the area, make certain that you ask for their documentation of insurance. Proof of adequate liability insurance is absolutely essential.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

OH, I meant to say: congratulations on deciding to find a tree other than those darned Bradfords. I must say, though, that they keep the arborists in business, lol!

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again, Rhizo - you are a fountain of info, and being a newcomer to the area, I sure do appreciate it.

Like a lot of gardeners, I have two priorities in mind - sustainable agriculture, and beauty. While the B. pears are very pretty, the combination of their not producing any viable fruit and their fragility had me turned off. I will research carefully before planting new ones (and we WILL plant new ones - breaks my heart to take down any tree). After spending last year in SC, I would love to put up a pair of peach trees.

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

You may want to consider fruiting pears. They are much hardier than their Bradford cousins, and thrive and produce edible fruit in Alabama with little care. Peaches will require much more hands-on attention.

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

But aren't fruiting pears very susceptible to fire blight in this climate. Whatever your decide, check with your Cooperative Extension Agent for his recommendations of the best varieties for your area.

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

There are resistant varieties, like Kieffer. Not immune, of course, but Bradford are also resistant, so if hers are not diseased it's probably a good indicator that she won't have problems with resistant fruiting pears either.

I don't think any fruit tree is 100% maintenance free in Alabama, except jujube. But if one sticks with common (hard) pears or Asian pears, a bloom spray for fireblight and a dormant oil spray should be all that is needed. European pears will need more care.

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's my understanding that all fruit trees anywhere require maintenance, LOL. I will never get huge yields of anything, because (a) I won't use products that are harmful to fish & birds (and I am grumbling about the poison ivy I'm trying to tackle without resorting to Brush Be Gone or similar) and (b) I'm just not a diligent enough gardener with organic methods, although I like to think the word "yet" follows that statement.

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

I don't think any backyard gardener or orchardist should expect farm-level yields, unless they use farm-level methods. Then you aren't disappointed when you don't get them and pleasantly surprised when you do. :) Of course most backyard farmers are looking for a wide variety of food and just enough for family and friends instead of trying to pay the bills by squeezing every calorie possible out of the ground. So really high-yielding produce can sometimes be a hassle for the backyard farmers, unless they have livestock to which to feed the windfalls and excess.

If you want to start planting fruit trees, and you are near B'Ham, Petals from the Past in Jemison has orchards to walk through, classes in fruit care and you can sample the varieties they sell (in season, of course).

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The trees came down today. Very sad, even though I know (well, am pretty sure, anyway) that it's the right thing to do. Still, I'm sure I sent some bird life packing.

I won't be planting trees today, but will plant several smaller garden plants tonight, when in cools down, to kind of sort of try to balance things out.

New trees will be planted; I just want to take my time and plan & research.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

I just want to take my time and plan & research.

An excellent approach and fall is a great time for planting.

If you like birds, do consider planting a Serviceberry (Amelanchier) somewhere. The birds love 'em. And they are tasty for humans too, but often the birds find them first.

Sponsored