Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

Great Gardening Saturday

tsmith2579
13 years ago

Today was a great gardening day. Sylvia and I went to Hoover to the Art In The Gardens show. We both appreciate art and there were some beautiful paintings and photos. There was also some that looked like it was done in a six year old Vacation Bible School class. The Aldridge Garden was in full bloom and was beautiful. If you haven't been recently, please give yourself a gift and go see the hydrangeas. Admission is free. By the way, for the art show Hoover operated free shuttle buses from the Michael's shopping center at the intersection of US 31 and Lorna Rd. Hoover should take over the BJC Transit Authority.

After we left Hoover, we went to Sweet Peas in Homewood. There are usually several things at Sweetpeas which grab my attention but I didn't see the large variety of plants that usually occupies this small space. I was looking for replacement for my bananas. I had two large mats of bananas but this past Winter got both of them. I've had those bananas 20 years and we loved them. Sweetpeas has always had bananas but not today.

Then we went to Plant Odyssey. I took my mother by there a couple of weeks ago after her doctor's visit. We walked the greenhouse because it was raining outside. I could see the banana trees on the back side of the nursery. I went back today but WOW ... a 5 ft banana was $85. Needless to say, I didn't buy one. If you haven't been to Odyssey, go even if it is just to see the birds. There are several birds, but there is a parrot and a cockatoo who are very sociable and will talk to you forever. We stopped by Arby's for a cool drink and headed home.

Earlier this week, I noticed one of my Key limes had starting turning yellow. Today it dropped off the tree. I have now collected my first homegrown Key lime. With the help of Sylvia and my son Sean, I was able to remove the pot from around my Ponderosa lemon and move it to a larger pot. At last count, when it was just beginning to bloom AGAIN, I had about 25 lemons on it which are now nearly the size of store lemons. I'll guess there are another 25 or more lemon from the second flush of blooms. I'll probably have to thin them to keep the limbs from breaking.

I hope y'all are having a great weekend. Isn't it great that it takes so little to make us happy.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths