Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bailecz

Pine Bark into dirt....

bailecz
14 years ago

I have a large nature / play area that has years of layering pine bark and wood chips on it. Its all decomposed into dark dirt. In fact, that section of my yard is slightly higher than my lawn causing water drainage issues. (water is diverting around it washing away my grass.) Is this dirt worth using to plant sod on top of it? ..or is it too acidic?

Comments (5)

• catbird
    14 years ago

It's probably wonderful, rich soil. The best way to decide whether it's too acidic is to test it. You can buy a meter at Lowe's or Home Depot that will check the ph level. I use pine chips on pathways and every few years when the composted wood gets too deep to add more, I just scrape it into the garden beds to enrich that soil. Makes a handy compost pile. ;-)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Pine bark won't affect the pH in an appreciable way (it's a myth that it does).

Do you have a large pile of compost to work with, or have you been working it into the soil?

• bailecz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nope. Its just been layered on top of previous applications of the same pine bark over the years. No compost has been worked into it. That was my concern.
    I just dont want to spread it only to see that grass wont grow in it. (Weeds sure do!!!)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Not to worry.

• catbird
    14 years ago

rhizo: You say "No compost has been worked into it." It IS compost. Just plant in it or move it to your planting beds to enrich them.

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus