Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
source for chinese pistache or witch hazel trees

Posted by catbird z7 AL (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 05 at 22:15

Is there a nursery in North East Alabama or in the Birmingham area that sells witch hazel and/or chinese pistache trees? Has anyone had experience growing either of these in this area? I'd like a small tree different from the japanese maples and a shade tree smaller than oaks and with fewer roots than maples.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: source for chinese pistache or witch hazel trees

Hi catbird, we planted a chinese pistache tree last year and really like it. It has grown almost two feet since we planted it. Last fall the foliage was just beautiful turning various shades of red and bronze. From what I learned about them, they do not get extremely large and are not messy trees. Both of those things were important to us because we planted it near our fish pond. The one we got came from Hanna's Garden Shop on Hwy. 280 in B'ham. They can look quite scraggly at the nursery but they flush out quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here