Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering

Posted by cdposey26 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 08 at 22:25

Ok, since I have planted my garden and redone my flower beds it has only rained once. It looks like maybe we will get a little rain this week, hopefully anyway. I was wondering how often you guys water, especially in the heat we have been having. I have been watering daily and giving everything a good soak 2 to 3 times a week. My main concerns are my vegetables and herbs, butterfly bush, lantana, and my coleus. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Things look to be doing ok, a little droopy at times, but other than that I think ok. I just dont want to over or under water.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering

well, it has rained a couple days in a row now, so maybe my question is mute.

o
RE: Watering

Telling you how often and/or how much we water would be of little help to you, really. We all have different soil types, different sun exposure, plants with different watering needs, raised beds, shallow beds, etc, etc. There are just too many variables involved to give you one definitive answer. I guess the best thing to tell you is: read up on what your individual plants need, get to know how quicky different areas of your yard dry out after watering by digging with your hands & squeezing the soil for moisture content. Pretty soon you'll get a handle on how much to water & how often. You may kill a few in the process, but don't worry, we ALL have. It's the only way to learn. Hope this helps, at least a little.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here