Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imadabbla

Disappointed in Montgomery Southern Homes and Gardens

imadabbla
18 years ago

I don't know what has happened to them this year. Their selection is pretty lame and they haven't restocked at all since early spring.

I've been there several times this season and have yet to buy anything. However, their neighboring garden center, about 1/2 mile up the highway, has a great selection. I went there last week and bought four FULL AND BEE-U-TEE-FUL hanging baskets of million bells.

They had so many gorgeous flowers it was very difficult to decide on what to get. I want to go back for more!!!

Comments (13)

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

I haven't been to SH&G this year. That "other" garden center, is that the one going toward Montgomery with the attached greenhouse out the back door? They always have a good selection of stuff. I found a hibiscus El Capitola sport there a few years back. They have a lot of good stuff there.

• imadabbla
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yep, that's the one. Is it against policy to say the name? (Guess I already did that once...oops)

In the past I haven't been impressed with their care of their inventory but this year their plants look very healthy. They also have pretty good prices on statuary.

• imadabbla
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ah, that probably explains why they haven't restocked. Someone had told me they were opening a new one but I totally forgot about it. I gotta go check it out!

• txape1
    18 years ago

I have been a long time customer of Montgomery Southern Homes & Gardens and I was at their new store this last Sunday and yes, it is sure beautiful and grand, but I still like the feeling at their Wetumpka Hwy store. Last Saturday their green house was full with great buys on big bowls of Penta, Fern hanging baskets, and Bouganvilleas and they have changed the way their store and greenhouse looked with new merchandise and decor. In any case, I still like to shop there better than "the other garden center" down the Hwy....I find their people to be much FRIENDLIER, knowledgeable and much more helpful.

• auhort1990
    18 years ago

In case you don't know where their new store is located it is out Vaughn Road past Deer Creek. I went to their Grand Opening last Saturday. It's a VERY nice place to say the least. The prices look to be the same at their HWY 231 store. I figured it might be higher considering the new location.

• imadabbla
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Dang, I still haven't made it to the new SH&G. I'll get another break from work in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll try to go then. Can't wait to check them out.

I work and live in Wetumpka area so I just don't make it to Montgomery real often.

txape~you are right about the folks at HWY 231 SH&G being helpful and knowlegeable.

• tweetypye
    18 years ago

I also live in Elmore County, and haven't been down to check out the new SH & G yet, but plan to in the near future. I have a daughter who lives in the Deer Creek area, so I'll just have to run over there when I visit her! Can't wait to see what all they have.

• pierre06
    18 years ago

I live nearly 1.5 hours from Montgomery's SHG. I have been to both. They are great places to shop. However, the center on Vaughn Rd is closer for me. They offer superb advice to customers. Having purchsed KnockOut Roses from them, I was so impressed with the plants as well as the planting instructions they provided to me. Again I APPLAUD both location, and I certainly adore the new location which is closer

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

If I'm headed to Atlanta on I-85 and I take the Vaughn Road exit, which way do I turn at the top of the exit ... Left or Right? I know how to get to US 231 S at Montgomery Mall via Vaughn Road but I am not very familiar with that part of Montgomery. Can someone give me directions from the I-85 N (heading toward Atlanta) Vaughn Rd exit? Thanks

Terry

• auhort1990
    18 years ago

Headed north on I-85 take the Taylor Road Exit (Eastchase Shopping Center and AUM Exit). Take a right onto Taylor Road. Go down to Vaughn Road (maybe 1.5 miles, there is a McDonalds and a BP at intersection. Take a left here onto Vaughn. This leads right to SH&G. You will go past several shopping centers, Wynlakes (on left)and finally Deer Creek (on right. Just as the 4 lane turns into a 2 lane SH&G will be on your right.

• goldendiv_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

I have to disagree - been to both stores and both were super nice and I loved the selection. I wasn't too impressed with some of the prices vs. last year but that is expected I guess. I went in looking for custom cushions for the outdoor set I bought from them 3 years ago. They no longer carried it but sent me down the road to Elegance Outdoor who specializes in custom cushions with teak furniture being their main emphasis. Just impressed they sent me down the road to a competitor they knew that could help me. Anyways, went into Elegance Outdoors and they were very friendly. Found out they specialize in custom cushions in Sunbrella and sell mainly online. I picked my color and they sent me away to order online. Too funny but I was very pleased with the quality, selection, and customer service. Still a big fan of SH&G - a Montgomery classic.

Here is a link that might be useful: custom cushions

• myselfandi
    16 years ago

Just to add my two cents, I shopped at SH&G on Hwy 231 on Saturday and bought some Coral Beauty cotoneaster. I shop there pretty often. My plants were fine, and the price seemed to be reasonable. But I have to say that I have been a little disappointed in the prices of other items. I try to go there only when I need a specialty item that I'm unable to find anywhere else. For example, Lowe's regular-priced Stella daylilies were cheaper this spring than SH&G on-sale Stella daylilies. I think the other garden center mentioned above is Montgomery Garden Center. They have beautiful plants, but are pricy as well. I bought three of the most beautiful camellias from them back in the winter, and they are the most beautiful and healthy I have ever seen. They were quite expensive, but they look great! Glad to hear some of you still shop at the 231 SH&G. Since I live in the Wetumpka area, I hope it continues even though they have opened the Vaughn Road store. Also, the workers are very competent and helpful!

Sponsored