Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
may10777

Any other Lavender fans?

may10777
15 years ago

If so, will you be cutting back after blooming? I am always looking for cuttings. I am determined to have a field. Thanks!

May

Comments (9)

• User
    15 years ago

Oh yes I have 4big pots of Provence. I used to have it in the ground in my pool walled garden but it rotted a couple years ago when we had rain....what is that you ask ?? Anyway I put plants in pots and they are wonderful. I bought them at the plant place by us in Opelika. What did you have in mind ? It is the most fragrant and forgiving I think. c

• loveofmylife680
    15 years ago

I have always wanted to grow some but have never had any luck with it.
    Jill

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

We tried it a few times but we had to grow it as an annual. Which is the best type for a perennial?

• User
    15 years ago

If you buy Provence it is the easiest and also is a culinary plant so you can eat the flowers. It is very simple to grow in pots. I use regular Miracle Grow potting soil and add a big pot of sand to the mix to loosen it. I don't even have it in full sun but late afternoon is enough. Also it is in my walled garden so it is protected but it isn't fazed by our coldest winters in Opelika. I use very large pots BTW. It stayed green all winter and I never pruned it last winter. It is full of blooms now and I have started harvesting already. Let me know if I can help with any other questions you might have. c

• bamadave
    15 years ago

I've had Spanish Lavender for several years in a spot with well-drained soil on a slope. Some branches die back, but overall they do well and bloom well. The leaves have a very nice fragrance, although the English Lavender is better.

• Bamateacha
    15 years ago

I've seen lavendar for sale at my local Home Depot. I thought Alabama's heat/humidity were certain death for lavender. So it can be grown in my zone?

• roseyp8255
    15 years ago

I have Provence - HUGE - as a perennial - i actually ahve to transplant it - i am NOTORIOUS for just throwing it in the ground and then later saying OOPS.

• catbird
    15 years ago

I've had lavender (Provence, I think) growing in the ground in Gadsden for about 10 years. It's had virtually no attention and is getting pretty woody now, but has been beautiful for years. I noticed recently that one piece has rooted on it's own and is making a nice new plant. Can cuttings be rooted? I need to root some of these if I can.

• Linda Ross
    15 years ago

I planted it in a small corner of the garden and it's taken over. Last year I dried a lot and made sachets for everyone at the office. They loved it. I have some drying right now. If you don't want to make your own sachet sacks, Michaels has small white silk or other fabric bags with white silk ribbon closure in their wedding section. I think they were made for either bird seed or rice at weddings, they are perfect for dried lavender. Just the right size for gifts. I tie them on gift packages.

Sponsored