Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help w/ petunias

Posted by heather_in_bama AL (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 08 at 23:13

I'm a beginner gardner, so please forgive me if this is redundant (I have also been all over this site looking for my question and can't seem to navigate my way around here).
I planted wave petunias in many containers...in addition to the few caterpillars I have (I used diatomaceous earth and it handled it fine...)there seems to be a strange leaf pattern emerging. I don't have the full green leaves anymore on the newer growth. Instead, what I have is this strange, spindly looking 5-pronged greenery with a bloom in the center. The "bloom" doesn't actually bloom, though. They have turned brown, hard and actually look like they are bursting (reminds me of a popcorn kernal). Each individual "kernal" has a hole in it, like it has popped. I can't see any bugs that could've eaten through, but its possible. So, I guess to restate my problems...what causes the very strange change in growth pattern? Also, what could be causing the little brown things/kernals/whatever to pop? Does any of this make sense?
It definitely doesn't look like typical "leggy' petunias. The entire leaf pattern has changed. It is doing this in 5 different containers, all purchased from one nursery. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help w/ petunias

Do you religiously dead-head your petunias?

o

Cut your Waves back by about half and fertilize them. This should vitalize them.
The kernels may be seed pods.

o

i have to add that i had problems with my waves and for mine it seemed i actually watered it too little. i have them in hanging pots and watered them but apparently it was running through and the plant didn't get enough. i've been sitting it in the flower bed when i sprinkle and it looks so much better! and also make sure you dead head every day or two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here