Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did Anyone Go To Daylily Show

Posted by tsmith2579 7B/8A (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 13, 09 at 23:22

Sylvia and I went to the Bham Bot. Gardens for the daylily show. Wow, what a disappointment. All of the Mountain Brook Village area was without electricity due to Friday night's storms. We walked up to the BBG doors and the display tables were outside. There may have been only 8 or 10 tables of blooms. This may have been due to flower damage from the storm last night. We started to walk down the aisle to view blooms and a rude lady told us "you can't go down there." I asked if they were still judging and she said "Well, yes!" Some acquaintances of ours belong to the Bham daylily group and they said the club sold plants first and didn't set up the show tables or start judging until they had sold out of plants. There was not sense in the lady being so rude. We may try again next year. I will say there were some spectacular flowers with the few they had to show.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did Anyone Go To Daylily Show

I had planned to but it stormed all day at my house and the power went off. Had 4.5" of rain for Saturday and Sunday. Sounds like I didn't miss much. Linda

o

I went during a break in the rain, mainly to see the lovely blooms and also buy something from the hosta sale. I must have had the SAME RUDE LADY -- she chased me off too and treated me like I was some kind of freeloader or something...wish I'd seen you and Sylvia - that would have made it a lot better. The hostas were really expensive, but I got a couple anyway because I needed some. ALL dl's were sold out early apparently -- tons of hosta were left though. Also I bought a couple of things from the Leaf & Petal shop - that guy was very nice as were all the hosta folks. Apparently the Daylily people are a bit snooty... I left without seeing one beautiful bloom up close - also very disappointed. Won't bother with that again - wish I'd gone to the Gordo thing instead. Someone told me you have to get in line at like 7am to purchase any daylilies at their sale. Dana

o

my friend and i always drove to b'ham for the plant sale in april. they were so rude and unaccomodating last time this year we decided we could be abused closer to home...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here