Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peonies

Posted by mattie108 Huntsville, AL (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 1:52

I am thinking of planting Peonies but I've read that in the South they appreciate afternoon sun. The place I have in mind is on the west side of the house and they will get sun all day. I'm in zone 7. Anyone have any idea how they'll do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peonies

Mine do good in full sun. They bloom better in full sun. Been growing them since 63. I got my first for a wedding gift from the preachers wife.

o

Thank you Plantman! I am happy to hear that. I kind of have my heart set on Peonies but was afraid they wouldn't do well. There are a zillion to choose from. Do you have a favorite? I am impressed that you've been growing them since 1963 - what a great idea for a wedding gift!

o

I mostly grow the double type, some single blooms types. I have not tried the bush or tree types. They cost to much.
Who has tried the bush type?

o

i have grown the tree peonies (p. suffruticosa) for a few years but they went into decline after that and became so weak that i gave up on them. from what i have read, they are more vigorous in colder climates. at any rate, they were not happy where i had them. possible issues might have been drainage or lack of fertilizer. i thnk even the herbaceous ones prefer a winter chill period that they don't get in my area and farther south of me. my grandfather had them in north alabama (florence area) but i don't see those often around here. auburn university is studying them for heat-tolerant varieties. there is an article online if you search for it.
the tree peony flowers are big and beautiful, though, and are worthy of a spot in the garden if you can grow them. one of mine had a nice lemon fragrance.

o

In this part of the country humidity seems to be as much of a problem with peonies as anything. They must have good circulation and well drained soil or they'll mildew badly.

o

Thank you, everyone! Your input has been very helpful. I'm still interested, but I might put off my decision for a while. So much to consider! They can be expensive, and I don't want to be disappointed. Gonna think on it...thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here