Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Horticultural Corn Meal

Posted by ljbrandt Montgomery, AL (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 25, 09 at 5:54

Hi all,

I live in Montgomery, AL and have had a heck of a time finding horticultural corn meal in 50# bags ANYWHERE. I've tried all of the feed stores and grain mills and no-one carries it!! Reason I'm trying to find it is because I'm trying to start an organic lawn care program and I need to fight brown patch...if anyone here in Alabama knows of any place that carries this stuff, PLEASE PLEASE let me know...I'll drive up to 50 miles to get it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Horticultural Corn Meal

Horticultural corn meal? I must say that I'm not familiar with that term.

I know that you can find whole ground corn meal in 25# bags in Sam's or Costco. I expect that ground corn meal is available at the feed centers and grain mills. They would use it to make many different kinds of animal feed.

o

The 25# bags at Sams and Costco are food grade and as such are more expensive. What I am looking for is a 50# bag from a feed store...however all the feed stores I've contacted don't seem to carry the corn 'meal', only the whole/cracked corn.

o

It has been 40 years since I fed cattle but feed stores use to sell a whole corn product with crushed cobs and ground corn with some cracked corn in it. Would that be a good substitute?

o
Alfalfa pellets

Has anyone used alfalfa pellets ( sold as horse feed ) as fertilizer to increase the size of roses or daylilies? If so, do you recommend it and did it cause any onpleasant odor?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here