Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mosquitos ignore the bug spray - HELP?

Posted by roseyp8255 z8 AL (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 1, 05 at 9:07

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried Deep Woods Off, Cutter, etc. They bite me THROUGH the bug spray - not deterring them on me at all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mosquitos ignore the bug spray - HELP?

I'll be interested in the responses. I can't wear bug spray, it literally makes me sick.

I have read that dryer sheets rubbed on your skin and worn on your clothes and hat if you are hiking will help. They may have helped decently, but my skin itched from the fabric softener.

A long-sleeved baggy shirt and baggy khakis are my standard attire when I'm outside, to try to limit exposure. I've seen a "natural" bug spray at WM but have not had the nerve to try it yet. I think it's citrus-based and isn't cheap, but if it works it would be worth it.

o

Yes, I know that the long sleeves, etc., are an option - although one that CANNOT help me - i am outside all the time - plants/yard - and sweat too much to stand the extra clothes - I have actually already changed clothes twice today (outside working) -

So far I am just "dealing" with mosquito bites - not a great option with West Nile, etc. They will literally bite me, leaving others standing next to me alone!

I have been taking odorless garlic pills - which seemed to help in past - not this year. Wondering if some of my meds (BP, Zocor, etc.) could be contributing to the problem?

o

OK, you two, how about this? Avon Skin so Soft spray. My one daughter uses it on her children due to sensitivity to the ingredients in the regular bug sprays. Had never heard of this but it worked when they were here visiting.
AND I even sprayed it on the dogs when the neighbor's horseflys came to visit. It helped even with those pesky things. :O)
Lynn

o

Another option, I am told, is musk oil. I haven't tried it but if it works I'm going to be much, much safer and the scent of musk is so pleasing, too.

o

Skin-so-soft contains small amounts of the same chemical in off and cutter's so if they don't work s-o-s won't either.
It may work for a short time for those whose skin is sensitive to the stronger doses.
I just read last evening that eating bananas seems to attract them more than normal so your meds might also.
The same artical said taking one 100mg vitamin B1 daily works. haven't tried it because off or cutter's works for me.
I have noticed many times that when my wife and I are outside together they flock to her and ignore me but when out alone they try to eat me up. Don't know whether its the perfumed beauty aids she uses or different blood type. Lol

o

Thanks ya'll. I already use NO perfumes, use only Original Skin So Soft shower gel, lotion, etc. I tried the "Bounce" sheets the other day too - to see if that would. NOPE! I guess maybe it is just because i am soooo sweet?!?! :)

o

LOL Rosey, that would be it--you are just too sweet for your own good!

I've also read that garlic supplements would help repel mosquitos. I too take a BP med (for arrhythmia(sp?)) and worry about unlisted interaction problems so I don't take anything I don't absolutely have to.

Oh, almost forgot--I've also read that mosquitos don't like rosemary. I am growing rosemary and have been meaning to try rubbing that on my skin.

o

Alex - my full name is actually Rosemary - that is a hoot, that mosquitos are rumored to not like it! :)

I actually will try it this week - have a HUGE Rosemary bush - will start bathing in it if it works!

o

Just read in Consumer Reports today that a different repellant named "REPEL" works better in their tests than cutter's or off. Uses a different chemical which may not be irritating to those who can't use deet. Cost $6.00 per bottle.

o

Plane, unscented petroleum jelly seems to help. Also, dab a few spots with vinegar. Remember, many deodorants have a scent to them as well as hair spray and hair gel which may attract skeeters.

o

Rosey, that is funny about your full name being rosemary. Apparently the skeeters didn't get that memo, lol!

The only thing about rosemary is that you should be careful around it if you are pg, especially in the first trimester. (Don't put it on your skin then, for anyone who is reading this.)

Terry, I'm going to remember the petroleum jelly (unscented) and a bit of vinegar. I'll no doubt try them in the next week or two, and I'll share the results.

o

I have read that the carbon dioxide emitted by your body attracts biting insects. So I guess the more you sweat, the more you attract them. It seems to be true for me, because right after I finish my evening jog, they will attack, and I have to run and spray with Off if I'm planning to stay outside for a while. Off (I use unscented) works for me, but I also saw the report on "Repel", so it might be worth a try. Another folk remedy I have heard about is to rub your skin with a sassafras leaf. Has anyone else ever heard this one? I'll try the rosemary and see if it works.

o

Thanks everyone - i am gonna try ALL of your ideas and see if anything will work!

I have literally quit fixing my hair - but lack of hair products has not helped either. The favorite spot on my body seems to be my legs?

I am a smoker - so i guess i am giving off even MORE carbon dioxide? I know - another reason to quit -

o

OK, I did try the musk and it works great, I used it on my legs and feet and left my arms bare. I didn't get any bites on my legs, and since I was just sitting in the "treehouse" making hummingbirds I was able to keep the little bloodsuckers away for the most part.

There used to be a product called Bug Out that worked even better than Repel(which I've been using for a couple of years now, it's pretty good, but the price has gone up since that Consumer's Report). I wish I could still find it.

o

Nigella, where do you find musk oil?

o

I am convinced it is my BP meds, or my cholesterol meds (or maybe just my high cholesterol!) - see the below link.

Following the links in the article led to info that mosquitos "need" cholesterol and B vitamins.....gonna quit taking the B complex I take (for stress, etc.)....

I am determined to win this battle! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosquito info

o

Here's a study.

"Bite Blocker (Consep, Inc., Bend, Oregon) is a plant-based repellent that was released in the United States in 1997. Bite Blocker combines soybean oil, geranium oil, and coconut oil in a formulation that has been available in Europe for several years [97]. Studies conducted at the University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada, showed that this product gave more than 97% protection against Aedes mosquitoes under field conditions, even 3.5 hours after application. During the same period, a 6.65% DEET-based spray afforded 86% protection, and Avon Skin-So-Soft citronella-based repellent gave only 40% protection [98]. "

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosquito Info

o

Try this:

http://www.outinstyle.com/page/ois/PROD/CampingHuntingGear/NET9532

It may not be the most fashionable, but it will keep the bugs off of you.

I wore a similar hooded jacket impregnated with DEET when I was salmon fishing in Alaska. Looks silly, but kept me from being eaten alive

o

Hi Alex, I bought a bottle of Coty's "Wild Musk" at some drug store or other. I think I like the spray better than the actual oil. I'm having a problem with biting ants that's making me a LOT crazier than the skeeters, though. I'm just about to resort to chemicals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here