Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_ross8133

Introducing myself

Linda Ross
18 years ago

Hello everyone, I am anxious to visit with all of you about our Alabama gardens. My hubby and I are originally from Kansas, an old University of Kansas Alumni. We moved to Alabama "Birmingham" area about 15 yrs ago for my husband's employment. We love it here and enjoy the mild winters/long growing season. I do miss my lilacs though. We are emptynesters and sold our family home recently and bought a smaller home moving in a couple of weeks. We built our last home so I worked with starting ALL the landscaping and gardens from scratch, but our new home was built in the 30's and an elderly woman lived there and had a passion for gardening. I am sooo excited to see what is there, unfortuately she passed on so she cannot help identify the plants. I know there are loads of blueberry bushes that are producing, an enormous Sycamore tree, 2 large Shagbark Hickory trees, a Sweet Gum, several dogwoods, and not sure what else. It is a little over an acre lot. I really haven't had an opportunity to look over the plants yet. I can't wait to see the gardens in the fall. So, I will probably be coming to y'all to help me with my questions. Thank you for having such a terrific website. Mollie

Comments (8)

• tedp2
    18 years ago

You said the previous owner had a passion for gardening. Hope she had both flower and vegetable gardens.
    You miss your lilacs. Why? They grow well in Alabama. Both the bush and the perinnial.
    Welcome to the forum.

• colabama
    18 years ago

dear mollie,i hope you find many 'treasures' that the former owner planted.happy gardening and welcome again.

• ourhighlandhome
    18 years ago

Hi "Jayhawk"! ;-)

Hello Mollie, and "Welcome!" to the Alabama Forum. Keep a eye out for the fall plant swap on the exchange forum - we'd love to meet you.

Nelson

• catbird
    18 years ago

Your new home sounds wonderful. Our daughter had a similar experience and we've both benefitted from the former owner's garden.

One caveat: I hope your syacmore tree isn't close to the house or in the front yard. We had one (recommended by a local "landscaper") in our front yard and I finally had it cut down. It grew FAST, but the wood was week and one very big limb broke off -- fortunately into the street. The leaves were big, curled sails that blew all over the neighborhood all summer long and drove everyone crazy. Sycamores are beautiful at the edge of a wooded area away from the house, but they're not good yard trees in my experience.

• terramadre
    18 years ago

{{gwi:365476}}
    and the AL Forum

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant Forum

• tweetypye
    18 years ago

Hi Mollie,
    Welcome to the Alabama Gardening Forum. You are going to have so much fun with your new garden! My daughter purchased an older home last winter, to renovate for her new daycare center, and we have found so many wonderful plants there this spring and summer. The original owners were quite wealthy, and loved gardening. They had a full time gardener who lived on the property. The gardens were always beautiful, but of course, they had become overgrown since the couple passed away. But, we have slowly but surely been getting them back in shape, and they are again becoming a showplace. Enjoy your new garden, and I for one, will love to help you identify your new plants.
    Jan

• bulzi
    11 years ago

Mollie,how the time flies. Hope your move to new surroundings went well. For me, moving has never been an enjoyable experience.
    Can only imagine the popup surprises that you would find from time to time. Drop down surprises can also be a pleasant surprise also, referring to the Shag-bark Hickory. Hickory nuts makes the 'bestest' Banana Nut Bread ever. I envy your wonderful trees. Hope your still out there enjoying your NEW NEST. joseph

• catbird
    11 years ago

Mollie: We'd love to hear what you've found so far during your treasure hunt in your new-to-you garden. It's always fun to see what pops up in an inherited garden.

Sponsored