Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamatufa

recommendation on a vine for a brick house

Bamatufa
16 years ago

Can some one recommend a small leaf evergreen vine for growing on the brick of a house? B'ham,Al. area. I prefer the look of the creeping fig but afraid it will not withstand the cold and die back.

Comments (6)

• feathertrader
    16 years ago

I dont want to dampen your desire to have such a beautiful effect then having a vine grow on your brick home. But I just have to caution you to promote this.
    The damage to the structure of your home is not worth it.

I will agree the look is nice, but I highly recommend you don't do this.

My friend did this with her home. It looked beautiful until it grew so much that it entered the attic, grew through windows. The roots not only attached themselves to the brick they grew through the mortar joints and weakened the integrity of the brick walls.

I'll agree the look is very pleasing . . . but I don't think its worth it.

Sorry if I sound so negative, just want to give you some food for thought if you hadn't considered this.

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Feathertrader -
    The advice is much appreciated and is one of my concerns with attaching anything to the house. This is something my wife has seen around town and it does look nice but in the long run may regret.

• Bamatufa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Guess what! Wife and I both got our ways. Planted Boston Ivy & fig last year. It took off this year and took over the house to the point it was making its way to the roof beyond my reach and ability to prune without a few hundred dollars of new equip .Took over the porch and windows and not stopping. I asked my wife one question, "what are you going to do now ?"Broke out the ol' spray bottle and Killzall. Ivy on the house is not a good idea!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Too bad that we didn't do a better job of talking you out of it! Growiing Boston or English ivy on a home or tree is never a good idea.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Too bad that we didn't do a better job of talking you out of it! Growiing Boston or English ivy on a home or tree is never a good idea.

• daybydaybyday
    10 years ago

Most vines are penetrating and will ruin your mortar.

Been so long since I read up on them, I forget the details. I just remember to keep them off my house. :-)

Sponsored