Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Singin' in the rain, your weather review

This is a refreshing change from the past 2 summers. Haven't been flirting with 100 degrees at all yet. If this rain keeps up, I won't have to worry about replacing our leaky hose or broken hose storage box (snapped the handle off Saturday) until next year. Kind of ironic in a good way, I finally got a bunch of tubs to collect serious amounts of rain water, and have had to dump it out a few times. It's hosting mosquito larvae faster than I need to use it, don't want to risk any of them maturing. Guess I need to put screens over the tubs, never occurred to me I'd have this problem, or even have any rain TO collect.

The plants are loving this weather although I have to keep trucking potted succulents around so they don't get rained on every time. I haven't seen any true wilt on any plants since late last month. DH isn't crazy about having to mow so often, and I'm chasing grass vines out of beds constantly, going right over borders and up walls. Don't think the lawn will be going dormant this summer. We haven't been driving to swimming spots for relief nearly as often as previous Junes.

All things considered, I'm going with thumbs up. What is your review on this summers' weather so far?

Comments (9)

• alabamanicole
    10 years ago

Well, all the wet weather has killed my lavender. But otherwise it's been a nice season with most days having seasonable temperatures.

Somehow all this "normal" weather makes me suspicious. Since when is the weather in AL ever "normal?!"

• john_trussville
    10 years ago

Sssshhhhhhh........don't jinx us.

as soon as we all start praising Mother Nature for this wonderful rain she'll turn around & hit us with a dry spell or serious drought, for sure.

just let it be....and enjoy! :>)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can't argue with that, though it has been raining most of the time since I typed that a couple days ago and I did just snorkel to the mailbox...

• alabamanicole
    10 years ago

Over 2" last night and this morning here, and still raining.

It broke a bit so I went out to harvest veggies... boy, those are some fat cukes and zukes!

• sundog7
    10 years ago

While I've been working out of town, my grass has been growing taller and taller because of all the rain. Even with this four day weekend I probably won't get to mow the yard. Maybe next weekend?

At least the neighbors seem to be in the same situation so they're not complaining . . . . yet. :)

• alabamanicole
    10 years ago

7.5" here as of last night and it looks like about another inch in the rain gauge this AM... and still raining. Indian Creek yesterday was in full flood, over the greenway and into the neighboring pastures.

What a soggy July this is turning out to be. By the time it dries out enough to mow I'm going to need a scythe.

• sundog7
    10 years ago

By the time I get to mow I may need a Bush Hog and a hay baler.

• john_trussville
    10 years ago

Over the w/e I saw two squirrels hoisting sandbags up their tree, but luckily the rain finally subsided.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the extra money I usually have to give the water utility. Buy more plants, I suppose!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"... squirrels hoisting sandbags up their tree..." Ha!

When I walk in our yard, water squishes up over my feet, it's more like wading.

Has anyone noticed how the ants are freaking out? They're invading everything above ground, marching around way more than usual.

I saw standing water allll over the place yesterday, from Opp to Geneva, in fields, in yards, drainage ditches are small rivers. Here are some pics I took in Geneva, and just over the FL line.

There was barely 1 lane in some places on this road, wouldn't want to try it in my car in the dark. It's usually perfectly flat, 2 lanes.

{{gwi:365498}}

{{gwi:365499}}

{{gwi:365501}}

The Chocktawhatchee river. The trees are NOT usually under water!

{{gwi:365503}}

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio