Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsmcw

Disturbing Realization

lsmcw
14 years ago

I had a disturbing realization this weekend while sitting on the porch. I haven't seen any butterflies. This time of year the Bottlebrush Buckeyes, phlox, Black Eyed Susans, Buddleia, etc, are in full bloom and the butterflies are usually everywhere. There have been no caterpillars on the parsley or milkweed or the fennel. I am an organic grower so have used no pesticides and I live in the country so have no close neighbors to spray. We don't generally get mosquito foggers out this far so I am at a loss as to where the butterflies have gone. This is very upsetting. Anyone else noticing this or have any possible explanation?

Linda

Comments (9)

• User
    14 years ago

Here in Mobile, in the city south of I-10, I have many butterflies. What we have is a vegetable garden which has many blooms on things, and it also has rotting veggies. Butterflies love rotting fruits as much as they like flower nectar, if not more so.

I and my neighbor both sighted some hummingbirds still hanging around. Her yard has a high canopy of trees and so the shade moderates the temps there. Skeeters love it. And in the big azaleas and sasanquas, the birds are reproducing with great abandon. I sit on my sun porch and watch the parent birds bring their fledglings with short tails to feast in the back yard, especially after I've watered.
    And butterflies are everywhere. I planted several of the passion vines too. And at night I see the twinkle of the fireflies that remind me of my country childhood in Winston County.

• idig
    14 years ago

I have had seen quite a few butterflies. A few less hummingbirds than I am used to seeing this year though.

• madabouteu
    14 years ago

Here in Gadsden, I am seeing about the usual number - in fact, the small blue ones (Hairstreaks?) seem more common this year. Buckeyes and Painted Ladies are around also, but so far no Black Swallowtails.

• tweetypye
    14 years ago

Linda, I've got lots of butterflies over here in Santuck...also Black Swallowtail cats on my dill.
    Jan

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Linda, I agree. I also realized that most of my butterfly plants are just now starting to bloom. We had a long, cool spring which slowed my perennials and then it turned hot and dry. Lots of things are just now starting to grow and bloom.

• daffodillady
    14 years ago

This is my first summer at this address, but I am only about 1/2 mile from my previous address. I really had to downsize the amount of my plants for this move, so this may have some effect on how many and what is draw to my garden. I have seen a few cats, and some little butterflies, but only a few big ones. I have tons of bees though, as my side yard is white clover. What really disappoints me though is the lack of hummers. I finally seen my first pair Monday evening, but not since then. Hopefully things will pick up with the hummers and the flutterbys (-:

• topsiebeezelbub
    14 years ago

I have been worried about the same thing...no hummers or butterflys yet, and I have lots of things to welcome them...spookie. I'm in Huntsville.

• madabouteu
    14 years ago

I definitely have a hen hummer in the area. Lots of trumpet creeper nearby for her!

• outsideplaying_gw
    14 years ago

Linda, just catching up on some of the posts here. I actually have been worried about the same thing for about a week or so now. Earlier in the summer I had many frittilaries, skippers, and a few painted ladies. They have all but disappeared except for the skippers. I have seen a few black swallowtails, but that's about it. And I've had stuff blooming for months now. The hummers are around, but they seem to have avoided the feeders and are going for the salvias, etc instead this year. I live in an area much like you do...no spraying and plenty of water, flowers, etc for them to enjoy. I'm just outside of Huntsville too Topsie.

Sponsored