Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ferns for Montgomery Alabama

Posted by fnboyd z8 AL (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 07 at 10:38

Hey ya'll

I have a shady area next to my house that I think would look pretty with ferns. Which ones have you had luck with? I want the hardy ones that will over-winter when planted in the ground.

Thanks so much,

faye

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ferns for Montgomery Alabama

I have a lot of christmas ferns and shield ferns. Once they get established, they are about the easiest plants I have to take of--not bothered noticeably
in this dry weather, & don't need dividing. Well, the shield ferns do grow thick, and I do thin them out and give some away after several years. I also like cinnamon ferns. I have two of them that are situated so they have "wet feet" most of the time, and they get pretty big, over 3 ft tall, with interesting brown fertile frond- thingies growing up in spring. I have cinnamon ferns that stay in dryer areas and do not grow so impressively in comparison. If you go to one of the plant digs when they have them at the landfill in spring, you can dig ferns for free. Thats where I got lots of mine.

o

tedevore,

thanks for the info. Tell me more about this plant dig thing. where, when?

I had the shield fern on my list to try.

o

Fnboyd, do a search on the Alabama forum for "landfill". There is quite a bit of information there. Disregard the Turkey Creek landfill info. Turkey Creek no longer has a plant dig. The Bham landfill is always in the middle of February. On one of the messages I have listed a phone number to call for info. I usually put a note on my MSN Outlook calendar to remind me to call in mid-January. I always post a reminder when I get the info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here