Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bubbaearly

Fall tomato planting

bubbaearly
11 years ago

Are there any of of you tomato growers that can advise me on this? Is it to late to plant a tomato, such as brandy wine or purple Cherokees with the maturity time being 75-85 days. I live in Central Alabama and wanted to plant 4 of each but just don't want to plant them if they may not reach their potential.I can always go with a 55-65 day tomato, kinda wanting to try one called carnival never heard of it , but sounds good .Anyone planted them and if so how are they? Well,I'd welcome any advice..

Comments (6)

• sundog7
    11 years ago

The way this year's weather has been, I'd be afraid to offer any advice. Everything is different from the way it's supposed to be. We could have an early Fall or a late Fall. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see frost in late September and snow in October. Or it may stay warm enough we wouldn't have a frost until December. Who knows?

I'd plant everything and hope for the best, but I'm a born risk taker.

• bubbaearly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That good I'm counting on having last years fall again.I'm already waiting on the plants from cal..heirlomtomplants..Big Rainbow.. Red Brandys and Chocolate Cherokke. I have 2 of each around 6 wks. old in the ground already,the rainbow looks healthy enough.Thought I would gamble it and put 2 ea. more.85 days will push it to the end of October.Welp, let'um roll and WDE too!

• notascrename
    11 years ago

I started 36 Rutgers seeds two weeks ago for a fall crop of tomatoes. Seeds from an overripe one. Rutgers always seem to have a hard time in august then come back strong as it cools.I will try shade cloth for the "hot times" then open them up for their fall run. Good luck with yours, let us know how it turns out. Jim Devier

• tedposey
    11 years ago

At the worst you'd have lots of green tomatos and they are delicious fried and make good pickles. Lol

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Love green tomatoes in relish! Reminds me of the relish my grandmother made with green tomatoes cut in eighths.

Jim Devier, are you near Huntsville and a builder? If so I think you're near us.

• swjonthebay
    11 years ago

I'd go with the shorter DTM varieties. Even if your weather is mild the sun/light is still slipping away :)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals