Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White fungus on my tree

Posted by smfinna 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 24, 09 at 12:28

I have a tree, not sure what kind it is as I am by no means a great gardener... The poor tree suffered from an infestation of tent worms this summer and I have sprayed it three times. I noticed a large fungal-like growth as I was cutting the grass today. I am worried that it may be connected to the tent worms. I have included and link to some pictures. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sasha
http://picasaweb.google.com/smfinna/TreeFungus#

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White fungus on my tree

I assure you that this fungus has nothing whatsoever to do with the tent caterpillars. Or even the sapsuckers that have obviously been busy!

What it DOES have to do with is the site of the broken branch or badly pruned limb. The fungus is the fruiting body of an organism feeding on live or dead wood deep within the tree body. I honestly don't know if this is simply decomposing the dead interior wood, or is a disease causing fungus. The fungus was introduced into the tree's system when that branch broke off, or was carelessly pruned.

I can tell you that there is nothing you can do to 'fix' or 'cure' the tree. However, depending upon the species, trees can live more many years with this kind of activity going on. Keep your tree well-mulched, if you don't already.

Don't try to remove the fruiting body as you may cause further injury to the tree. There is no spray that will get rid of it, either. The mass will eventually disappear, but the fungal organism remains deep inside the tree forever. It is likely to 'fruit' again around the same time every year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here