Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
heat-tolerant anemones

Posted by jeff_al 8 AL (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 5, 05 at 12:33

i purchased a couple of plants this weekend that are labeled
anemone tomentosa(vitifolia) 'robustissima' and
anemone x hybrida 'honorine jobert'.
i want to plant them in a woodland area with dappled shade during summer and sun in winter.
some resources say the soil should not be allowed to dry out and others that they can handle dryness after establishment.
they should be good plants for fall flowers and are supposed to be able to handle our heat, unlike some other anemones i have tried and failed with.
anyone having success with these in zone 8 and care to comment on the necessity of keeping the soil constantly moist? i may not be able to do that during the hot, summer months where i want to plant them.
are they evergreen for you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: heat-tolerant anemones

I am in zone 7 (not zone 8 as you are) and I have grown Honorine Jobert, Pamina and September Charm anemones for several years. They are not evergreen for me. I do not water them much except when we have really hot dry spells. They are really nice plants and I like that they bloom later when few other perennials are blooming. Honorine Jobert has white blooms and Pamina and September Charm both have pink blooms. If they are happy in the soil where you have planted them they will spread a lot from the seeds produced after flowering. Deadhead them if you do not want them to spread.

o

I have robustissima and I love mine. Not evergreen here in Huntsville. I have mine in mostly shade. It flowers well in Aug. mine never lasts until the autumn though. My clump is huge as it has been in the same spot for 10 yrs. I plan on ordering some more. The white ones to go with my pink one. Since it dies back to the ground, care must be taken in the spring when working in beds.

o

thanks for the feedback, folks.
i guess i will be deadheading them, bob. i think i will like them but not to the point of having the woods full of them. ;-)
anaturelover, they came from "petals from the past" nursery in jemison so, if you are withing driving distance, that would save some costs for mailorder. these are healthy looking clumps in one-gallons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here