Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robsilverii

Best vine for a vine screen

robsilverii
15 years ago

I go to school at Auburn University and just moved in to a new house down there. I would like to plant a vine in some large planters to crawl on some lattice work to make a screen around the porch. It's a pretty big porch and I will be only there for 2 more years so I want a vine that I could plant right now and will grow very rapidly. It will be in part shade. There are already vines on the house so I don't have to worry to much about keeping it contained. I was thinking about Dutchman's Pipe Vine. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (3)

• tedevore
    15 years ago

That sounds like a good one for part shade.
    How about crossvine? I know it can get thick and woody over time,
    and grow real big,but it also might work for a couple of years. I don't know
    how fast it grows.

There are some nice clematis plants that would probably work, but may just
    get good and established by the time tou are ready to move. I grow the
    annual hyacinth bean vine every year, because I like the purple beans and flowers.

• User
    15 years ago

Hands down, I LOVE the star jasmine or Confederate jasmine. I have one now growing up my flagpole and it made a column about 2' round in one year, and it is about 10' tall. I know Auburn is a mite colder than in Mobile, but if it gets cold enough to hurt this dark green oily-leafed plant, I wrap a blanket around it and secure it with clothes pins.

I was very pleased to discover that in Tuscany (yeah, got to go there this June and WHAT an eye-opening experience)they make fantastic screens and hedges of this jasmine. The hedge is against a rock wall which is faced with some kind of wire support, and the gardener never shears off the blooms. It will bloom here in May, with thousands of white starry flowers, and emit a lovely aroma. Over there, it was still blooming strong everywhere in mid and late June.

Of course, another vine I saw used to good effect in Palacios Texas to cover a small travel trailer: KUDZU!
    Honest to heaven, it was the only abode in that Texas town which had shelter from the August heat, and a shady patio to boot! I almost ran off the road in shock.

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

confederate jasmine is reliably hardy here in auburn. i have not seen any cold damage on mine and never protect it.
    but....it has outgrown the space where i planted it and i am constantly fighting it to keep from covering the house!
    it will become extremely vigorous after a few years of attaining some girth on the stems.
    great fragrance, though.
    you could also consider the native carolina jessamine (see link below). it might be a better candidate for a planter than the star jasmine. it is nice to have those cheery yellow, fragrant flowers in late winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: floridata

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm