Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need a name for bulb

Posted by jeff_al 8 AL (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 13:48

flowers at this time of year (but not every year). seems to require adequate moisture to induce flowering and the recent rains of late june and early july triggered flowering. the flowers are in a cluster of five with six lobes on each one. foliage dies down before flower appears, much like lycoris radiata, spider lily.
i must have planted it but don't recall doing so. grows in a bed that gets no supplemental water and receives sun until about noon. very slight fragrance at times.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need a name for bulb

Lycoris squamigera- mine are blooming right now.

Susan

o

There are many names for this lily. There is one group that calls it Lycoris Squamigere and another calls it Amaryllis Belladonna, or Belladonna Lily. Here in the south it is called Resurraction Lily or naked ladies.

o

Pretty!! Aren't Amaryllis belladonna and Lycoris different plants? Comparing pics, Amaryllis flowers are more pointed at the tip of the petals. There are many species of Lycoris, but for some reason, the pink ones are almost always ID'd as L. squamigera. Does anyone know why?

Amaryllis belladonna.
Lycoris squamigera.

Here is a link that might be useful: bulb forum discussion

o

thanks for the botanical, susan. that appears correct when compared to online photographs of l. squamigera.
the photographs of a. belladonna flowers are indeed more lily-like and pointed than the rounded appearance of my plant's flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here