Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catbird_gw

Fall Swap -- North Alabama

catbird
13 years ago

Since we seem to have settled on a date and place, I thought it might be time to start a new thread to cover who's coming and location details. Here's a start:

Date: September 11

Time: 10:00 a.m.

Place: Wind Creek State Park, on Lake Martin near Alexander City

Someone familiar with the park needs to give us specific place to meet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Directions to Wind Creek Park

Comments (36)

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

I plan on coming. My HAVES are on the Alabama Exchange page. - Terry

• gardenjewel
    13 years ago

I plan on coming. I will post what I have to trade soon.
    Julia

• tedevore
    13 years ago

I plan on being there. I will update my x-change page.

Todd

• plantcrazy222
    13 years ago

Will be there. Need to find some pots to pot things up 1st. Like a dummy I gave all mine away thinking I would not need them.

• drippy
    13 years ago

I'm a "definite maybe" - won't have much worthy to trade, but would just like the experience of getting together with other area gardeners. And I don't necessarily need to take plants/seeds home either; just advice from all of you who have lived & gardened here for awhile!

• catbird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

drippy: People will have extra plants that they want to get rid of, so newbies HAVE to take them off their hands. It's in the rules. ;-)

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

look on my page...have put on EE"s,gingers and hedy's

• zana1428
    13 years ago

Sounds like a blast - I'm new to the forum too, so I don't know that I'll have much to bring. But since we just filled in an in-ground pool I have a blank slate for perennials. (and a trip to Wayside Farms planned for the end of September!) So I'll be happy to take extra plants! ::grin::

• mws366
    13 years ago

i'm planning on coming to the fall swap. because of several health
    problems, i wasn't able to start making plans until yesterday. weather permitting, hot hot !!!!!!! i'll take an inventory and put up a trade list asap. a combination of weather and neglect will require many pots of rooted cuttings and divisions be held over until they recover in spring. even if the trade items are 'slim picken's'' we'll have fun as usual.

wayne

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

Added MORE STUFF..LOL

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

Alice, I'm taking a day of vacation on Friday(08/13). I'll call the park to ask them about a good, shady place for us to meet, park and swap. I'll ask about a place near the water. I'll get back to you.

• shaybass
    13 years ago

Charlie & I will be there.
    Have posted some extras on our trade list. Have potted some cuttings, etc. -- will post to list as soon as I make sure they are going to make it.

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

Alice, I have heard from Mr. Gerad (spelled correctly w/o the L) Martin, Wind Creek Park Manager. So I won't confuse anyone, I am forwarding Mr. Martin's recommendation for where we can meet to you. If it meets with your approval, then you can throw it out for everyone.

• catbird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Terry: Thanks from all the swappers for checking this out for us! It looks fine to me, but I'm just one among many. Go ahead and post it and let's see what the others think. If there are no questions or objections, I guess we can consider it a go. ;-)

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

I emailed Wind Creek State Park to ask their recommendation for a site in the park for our swap. I asked for a place with shade and near the water. Mr. Martin responded. There is a place in the park they call the Silo. You can climb up to get a panoramic view of the Lake Martin and the park. Mr. Martin suggested that we use the parking lot at the Silo and adjacent picnic area. Since it is a park destination, the ticket person should be able to point us in the right direction. I didn't ask, but would guess there are signs pointing the way. Is this site at the park agreeable with everyone? - Terry

• catbird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Have updated my exchange page, finally. Alice

• mws366
    13 years ago

have updated my exchange page for fall.

wayne

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

Wayne, can I please get tagged for...
    Hibiscus 'southern belle'seedling
    fatsia j
    Lespedeza 'gibraltar'

Todd, can I please get tagged for...
    heuchera 'caramel' division
    heucherella 'stoplight'
    japanese anemone

Alice..can I please get tagged for...
    Cutleaf coneflower
    Light blue anise sage

Thank You

***I just took some seed heads off of my tiki torch echinacea, will post on trade page.

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

I'm still planning on coming. I had to have a transmission put in the old buggy this week. Last Monday it literally spilled its guts on I-459. I got a transmission and drive shaft. Now I guess I'm ready for another 340,000 miles.

• tedevore
    13 years ago

frog_hollow_lady (not sure I have properly met you to know your real name), I will be "tagging" plants for people with whom I have set up swaps, or for people who have given me lots of stuff and I am going to try and reciprocate. Other stuff I will leave "untagged" and just bring to the swap to give away to nice folks. This is just how its always worked well so far as I have seen.

Todd

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

Todd,.. no worries!

Wayne, it'll be nice to see you again also.. Have tagged you two of each of what you wanted...Just in case one doesn't make the winter..love,love my climbing aster..looks like a small tree..LOL

Is Nelson still around....I have his ruby red nanner..

• drippy
    13 years ago

I am thinking at the moment I may unfortunately have to miss this. How long is the swap likely to go on? I teach until 10:30, and can't cancel my lesson that day as I am taking state certification exams the following week, and have to cancel my Saturday students for that. It looks as if the location is somewhere between 2 and 3 hours from my house. Does it make any sense for me to arrive at 1 or 2 in the afternoon?

Thanks in advance for advice,
    Kim

• birdlady_10
    13 years ago

I will be there-if nothing goes wrong between now & then :).I haven't potted up much but will bring what I have.I'll post it on the exchange page.If you want anything please email me directly as my computer is messed up & the webunit won't let me on GW.At the janlotze@webtv.net addy See all of you soon. Jan

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

Kim, we usually meet around 10 am, see Catbird's (Alice) first post on this thread, and usually around 11:30 or 12 o'clock we 'load everything up' and head for somewhwere to eat. Usually we have eaten and are ready to head home by 1:30 pm. If you can't come this Fall, I hope you can join us next Spring.

• mws366
    13 years ago

hey plantcrazy222, gardenjewel and zana1428----------------

see exchange page !

wayne

• gardenjewel
    13 years ago

Hi all,
    Have updated my exchange page.
    Julia

• gardenjewel
    13 years ago

Hello all,
    I will also have a friend comming with me to the swap.
    She has
    Figs
    Turks cap
    Tricolor hibiscus
    Thumbergia grandiflora white
    Doulbe spirea
    assorted bromeliad
    Hoya cuttings (pink flower)
    She is looking for
    perenial sages (flowering)
    penstemons
    Thanks,
    Julia

• knabstruper
    13 years ago

Hi All,
    I will be coming to the Fall Swap w/ Gardenjewel so please have a look at my list of plants! Hopefully there will be a few folks that want to take some off my hands....

Patty

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    13 years ago

Ok... I'm late this season. I will plan to come to the swap. After having 2 cherry trees cut I now have some sun so I am excited. give me a day then check out my list. Wayne I owe you and a couple of others I think from spring.... remind me and I will bring it with me.

See you soon!!!

Peggy

• mws366
    13 years ago

does anyone have a cutting from a rex begonia vine (cissus discolor) to trade ?

wayne

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

Hey Wayne, I have one I can spare...

Man am I they only one that needs ta play catch up..LOL

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

This is what I got tagged so far....PLEASE PLEASE if I missed something tell me or if you are looking for something drop me a line..please be greedy!!! I need the room..LOL If something doesn't make it over the winter...and if I can go to the spring swap I can replace it...no worries....

Thank you to all the swappers and to the ones I have not had the pleasure of meeting...its going to be a great swap..

Patty

gingers and the variegated ones
    elephant ear smaller grower and a larger one
    Alocasia cucullata

Julia

Gingers one of each
    gingko
    cassia alata

Alice

jasminum nudiflorum
    and anything cold hardy...gotta look

Wayne

rex begonia vine
    2-gloriosa 'rothschildiana
    2-barleria cristata
    2-black gamecock iris

• drippy
    13 years ago

Wishing you all a wonderful time at the swap - I am studying hard for my annoying test and trying not to think about the great time I'll be missing. Hope to join you in the spring!

• daffodillady
    13 years ago

I am not able to be there tomorrow. I have been fighting a chest cold for three weeks now. Still coughing too much to be out and about. Ya'll have fun and be blessed!!

• outsideplaying_gw
    13 years ago

I missed this year's swap too. Had to travel on the 11th and just got back this last Friday. I'm now getting to the point I have stuff to swap and am planning to retire in about 3 years so y'all better look out!!! I'm still lurking out here.
    Elaine

• plantcrazy222
    13 years ago

Had to miss this swap. Found out at the last minute daughters cheer team had their 1st game to go to.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths