Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dnr24

Specimen Tree Recommendations

dnr24
12 years ago

What is everyone's favorite 20 foot tall tree to look at? I'm looking for a 20 foot tall specimen tree (can't be any higher without interfering with power lines) for a spot in the yard where it will also act as a screen from the neighbors while it is in leaf. It will be seen perfectly framed from the kitchen window. The spot is part-sun, with full sun in the mid-morning. I have ruled out a magnolia because there is already magnolia just next to where it will go. Ornamental plum was suggested to me, but it probably gets too big. I have also considered Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry and, of course, Japanese Maple. Any suggestions?

Comments (13)

• alabamanicole
    12 years ago

Dogwood, redbud and crabapple.

• Bamatufa
    12 years ago

Cyrepe Myrtle

• sundog7
    12 years ago

I second the crepe myrtle choice. There are many sizes and colors, including some that mature at only 3 to 5 feet.

• ourhighlandhome
    12 years ago

For a specimen tree, think outside the "box": three of the most spectacular trees in my yard for year 'round interest are:

Corylus avellana 'Contorta' ("contorted filbert")
    Robinia pseudoacacia 'Lace Lady'/'Twisted Baby' ("contorted black locust" - absolutely my favorite!)
    Taxodium distichum 'Cascade Falls' ("weeping bald cypress")

I never tire of visiting these trees, no matter what the season.

I hope you find the right solution for that particular spot that will bring you the most enjoyment (and it might not necessarily be a tree!) Think OTB!

Nelson ;-)

• john_trussville
    12 years ago

Nelson, I really like that contorted black locust. Something about it looks tropical to me, at least in the pics I've found online. Did you buy yours locally?

• ourhighlandhome
    12 years ago

John,

I purchased mine from 'Bloomin' Miracles' near Jacksonville, AL, about 3 years ago. This past spring I visited and Victoria told me they had been successful in rooting some cuttings and that she was keeping me another one aside until it was established.

After reading your post today I called her and she said they had several "nice sized trees" now available for sale. So....I guess I'm heading to Jacksonville in the next few weeks to get another one. And BTW, no picture can do this tree justice!

She & David also specialize in bonzai and have a great selection of Japanese maples to choose from, and nearly always have something out of the ordinary that you just have to walk away with.

'Bloomin' Miracles' is just a neat little place to visit. Put the trip on your calendar at least once a year. You'll usually drive away happy, but broke.....

Nelson ;-)

• alabamanicole
    12 years ago

The contorted black locust IS a lovely tree. I am also fond of the contorted filbert; it's in my current plan for landscaping my front yard as it also has a nice winter form.

Instead of the slow-growing japanese maple, the Black Lace sambucus is a decent look-alike, but I don't think it ges as tall as you would like.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Crape myrtle: y-a-a-a-a-a-wn

• terramadre
    12 years ago

Nelson,
    If you are heading for Jacksonville, you may meet meet me at
    Bloomin' Miracles;-)
    I am growing Harry Lauder, Corylus avellana 'Contorta' and have rooted cuttings for Salix matsudana 'Tortuosa'. I've grown cork-screw willow but have to do so now from new cuttings.
    A race for contorted black locust...? ;-)

• jcalhoun
    12 years ago

dnr;

How wide would you like the tree to be?

• dnr24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ideally, it would be pretty wide. If it was about 15 feet wide, it would do its job nicely. I had considered a crepe myrtle, but I'd prefer something less typical.

Currently, we are considering a 'Shoal Creek' Chaste tree/shrub. It would be the perfect size and shape. My wife loves the blue-lavender spikes. If the tree got great fall color, we would definitely choose it, but it doesn't, so we're still searching.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

• jeff_al
    12 years ago

some others to consider might be:
    halesia diptera (silverbell)- flowers, fall color
    styrax americanus (snowbell)
    crataegus marshallii (parsley hawthorn)- delicate foliage, red fruits, fall color
    chionanthus virginicus (american fringetree)- fragrant flowers, blue fruits, sometimes yellow fall color here.
    acer palmatum 'beni otake', a linearilobum leaf-type of the japanese maple adds a different texture to your landscape.
    the chaste tree is nice and i like the color of the summer flowers.
    some of the viburnums grow large and produce flowers followed by fruit for wildilfe. many of them have nice fall color.
    i have a 'pink snow' camellia sasanqua shaped into tree form that i really like. it is evergreen, of course, and has pink flowers in the fall. seemed to grow fast for a camellia.

• jcalhoun
    12 years ago

Witch hazel.

Sponsored