Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimidi_gw

Wonderful Rain!!!

mimidi
16 years ago

The southeast corner of Alabama has finally gotten some much needed summer showers. Nothing big but enough to bring out everything and my lawn has even turned green. I do hope this trend continues.

Amazing what several good showers will do.

Comments (17)

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

I know, I live about 20 miles north of Montgomery, and we're getting our 4th measurable rain since last Tuesday, as I type this. I actually had to mow my grass this morning, something that hasn't happened but a couple of times since early spring. All my plants are looking so much better and I'm so glad not to have to water daily, for a while.
    Jan

• caroleena
    16 years ago

yes mimidi, lots of rain! isn't it fantastic???

• mimidi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We got another inch and 1/2 on Tuesday. I sure hope it doesn't stop. Jan I need to mow my grass but got caught up canning tomatoes and freezing butterbeans today. I hope to mow tomorrow. It is nice to look out my computer room window and see a green lawn that needs mowing instead of one that looks dead.

Yes this rain is fantastic!!!! I just hope it continues.

• dddennis
    16 years ago

In my part of Clanton we have only had about 1/2 an inch
    but it has been extremely light but steady over the last 12 hours. An exceptionally good rain. Barely enough to tell it was falling much of that time. The radar looks like it will be gone soon but scattered showers forcat every day next week. I will need to mow Monday but will not need a dust mast to do so!
    Yay.

• mimidi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know how much we got today but it was a very good shower.

• GAAlan
    16 years ago

The rains in Alabama have been plentiful, but they have mostly fallen apart as they moved into Georgia. Must be something in the topography just inside Georgia that causes these systems to break up. If not for a couple hours of light rain this morning, my July total would be only 0.01". I've picked up 0.24" this morning.

Including todays rain I've had 4.92" over the last 84 days. I know Trussville has had 3.20" in the last 2 days! My request to whichever one is responsible, please don't turn off the water hose till we get some!(wink,wink)

• roseyp8255
    16 years ago

i don't know how much we have gotten, it is still drizzllng some here even now. At some point today i am gonna go check the rain gauge.

• roseyp8255
    16 years ago

i just checked - i have gotten just over an inch since yesterday around 10 am, according to gauge. course, it is puddling everywhere - don't know how much will run off.....guess i'll be cutting grass next Saturday! LOL!

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    16 years ago

We have been getting pop up thunderstorms almost everyday here in Escambia County (Atmore). My drainage ditch is full of water. It's the complete opposite from a month ago when it was bone dry.

• mimidi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We got another inch last night or early this morning. I hope this keeps up.

• mokey
    16 years ago

i'm not sure yet what we got here in montgomery, but i wouldn't mind another day of this or even a light drizzle. my grass is greening up again, the bare spots don't look so bad now either. if we could get a moderate shower every weekend and some sun during the week, my garden would be absolutely gorgeous.

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Just finished cutting grass for the 2nd week in a row...that's a record for this year!! Our rainfall total for the past couple of days was 2 inches...everything looks so much better. DL's are putting up rebloom scapes like crazy, and new fans too. Sure hope we continue to get more rains each week....sure do need them. It's so nice to be able to do other things besides water constantly!!
    Jan

• mimidi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We are having to mow now too but will not complain. The grass is green for the first time this year.

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

OK...make that a total of 5 inches since Saturday morning! We had a "gully washer" this afternoon...dropped 3 inches in a couple of hours!! Boy are we soaked at the moment....no watering for a while here, thank goodness. I'll take cutting grass over watering any day!! :)
    Jan

• mokey
    16 years ago

i'm with you jan. the rose of sharons that i got from you are surrounded by high grass, but they look beautiful. i probably won't get a chance to mow until thurs. morning or maybe sunday, but who cares! my garden will make it after all.

• roseyp8255
    16 years ago

YAY Jan - that is sooo nice to know - i haven't checked my gauge yet! LOL! Guess I'll be cutting grass this weekend too, but that is okay!

• mimidi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We got another 2 inches in the early evening last night. We had gotten a shower just after we finished mowing the lawn yesterday afternoon but it did not measure then late in the afternoon we got another 2 inches. The lightening was terrible. We had a bolt to hit between our house and my son's house. It threw their main breaker, blew open the door of the fuse box inside and a flame of fire came out and really scared my granddaughter. Our power was off for several hours but thank goodness there was not any damage. I just knew my computer was fried.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!