Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
browneyedsusan_gw

Fall Swap 2014

It's time to start thinking about the fall swap. We usually hold it on the last Saturday in September or the first one in October. This year they fall on September 27th and October 4th. Please weigh in and once a date is decided I would be glad to reserve a pavilion (hopefully the Beaver pavilion) at Oak Mountain State Park.

Susan

Comments (39)

• ourhighlandhome
    9 years ago

My vote would be for September 27th. I'll update my Exchange Page in the next few days. That is where I'll also keep track of my trades.

Thanks for handling this Susan!

Nelson

• plantman71
    9 years ago

I am open both dates.

• ourhighlandhome
    9 years ago

My opinion is to call off the swap for lack of interest. Reserve the pavilion if you wish - I'll gladly pay $15 to spend the day with whoever shows up.

Or we could meet at a neutral site, swap plants, and enjoy each others company by sharing a meal together at a local restaurant. Personally, I'm tired of worrying about it....

• alabamanicole
    9 years ago

I probably wouldn't come. It was fun meeting everyone, but it was an awfully long way to go and my free time is minimal right now.

• plantman71
    9 years ago

The Fall Swap 2013 was one of the best I have been to. I think each trader is just waiting on the next one to check in.
    Come on folks check in even if you say you cant or an't coming. Don't dissapoint an old trader, a sweet lady and a worry wort.
    I have a few good plants to trade,

• ourhighlandhome
    9 years ago

Just guessing here, but I'm not "old" or "sweet", so I must be the "wort". LOL! But hey, that's my role, and I play it well.

;-D

• madabouteu
    9 years ago

I have not spoken with Alice yet - I am open both days. I'll have some miniature aloes, not certain what else.

• madabouteu
    9 years ago

I have not spoken with Alice yet - I am open both days. I'll have some miniature aloes, not certain what else.

• Carrie1961
    9 years ago

I won't have anything to offer this year. I will make a point of growing extra next yesr. Also, I live three hours away from Oak Mtn, so it is kinda rough. I hope ya'll have a great time and post lots of pics.

• plantman71
    9 years ago

Carrie and others who think they have nothing to trade. I-We trade for just about anything. Bag goods from Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, ect. plants from these stores, native plants, bricks, cast iron cookware, old tools, land scape supplies, plant books, colored and clear glassware, yard art, craft(Priced) bottles(for bottle tree), flower pots(I need some huge ones for blackberries), Can food, Diet. drinks, for me anything good that will help me lose weight, farm tools, old saws, I think you get the ideal. If you have anything, offer it or bring it.
    Carrie, I would like to help you, since I went thru some of the same things you have. I had ten heart attacks, they put me in hospital the last week of June and wouldn't let me go. I stayed until after July 4th when Dr. returned from vacuation, hadOpen heart. Was sent home with little hope, each time you have a heart attack part of you heart dies, also had congestive heart failure. Ater feeling sorry for myself for awhile, I made up my mine I was not ready to die. Made myself raised beds. It was not easy. I raised and sold enough plants to suport myself and pay when My friend died. My kids didnot help, just my daughter got me about 40 something packs of seeds. She also helped when we were starting the Al. Plant Swap. I know it works because I can do anything I want. You might not react like I did, but you will be beeter off for trying. Go for them beds. and please let us help..

• Carrie1961
    9 years ago

Plantman71, thank you for your kind words and encouragement. I applaud your strength of will. Mama always said, "move it or lose it" and you personify that thought.

This post was edited by Carrie1961 on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 13:58

• elfs_garden
    9 years ago

I would love to come if it is on the 27th. I will be in Florida the following week.
    I will also plan on bringing two of my garden friends too!!

• mws366
    9 years ago

let's do it ! the spring swap started off slow, but turned out well. with all our personal and public problems, it's a real treat to spend time doing what we like to do with people we enjoy. thanks nelson and tony for pushing the rest of us. NOW TO GET MY EXCHANGE PAGE UP TO DATE !!!!!!!!!

wayne

• mws366
    9 years ago

my excange list is up to date for the fall swap. what about yours ? let me know what you want.

wayne

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yay!
    I visited this page today after a few weeks and I am so glad to see more people interested in coming to the swap. I have reserved 'our' Beaver Pavilion at Oak Mountain State Park for September 27th. Our confirmation number is 05815.
    Let the trading begin!
    Susan

• mws366
    9 years ago

i guess we need to contact some people that usually come to the plant swap about trading, but have not posted yet . how about it alice (catbird),
    i need some ribbon grass 'strawberries & cream. i planted what you gave me by my seawall and muskrats ate it this spring, roots and all.

wayne

• tedevore
    9 years ago

I will be there for the Fall swap. I have just the usual stuff on my list, but I'll be there to see all my garden friends, and I'll look for stuff to bringâ¦
    Wayne, the cut leaf rudbeckia (rudbeckia lancilata?) I got from you in Spring was/is really impressiveâ¦well over six feet tall and full of flowers. The goldfinches are now coming to munch on seed heads. Great plant.

• madabouteu
    9 years ago

I spoke with Alice (Catbird) tonight - she doubts she will be able to come. That means I will not be able to come either - I am not able to drive that far, especially after having a stroke in June.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kenneth,
    Perhaps you could get a ride with some of your master gardener friends?

Susan

• tndaisy
    9 years ago

Greetings All,
    I usually just lurk/learn here, but would love to join you all at the fall swap- my first. Please look at my exchange list to see if there's anything anyone wants...my wants are few, but then, I haven't seen what you've got!
    On behalf of any other first timers, could y'all experienced traders please tell us what we need to bring-- lawn chairs,etc.? Thanks.
    On behalf of my elderly Dad who will be with me, how close are restrooms to this pavilion? Thanks again, and I look forward to seeing you all the 27th.

• madabouteu
    9 years ago

The restrooms are less than 25 yards, I would say. There are some benches under the pavilion but you may want to bring lawn chairs. Also anything you want to sip on, of course, though we will have drinkables with lunch. Sadly, it looks like I will not be there this time. We are a very friendly group, easy going also.

• plantman71
    9 years ago

tndaisy, glad to hear you and your father are coming to swap.
    I have two Acoma crape myrtles about 10' high. I don't have any rooted. You can have all the cuttings you want. I also have the wine/red crinum Ellen B. Something. I will have to look it up. Check my have page and see if you can find anything.
    If you come 78W. you will come less than a mile from my house. I do a lot of in person trades. I live in W. B'ham.

Tony

• ourhighlandhome
    9 years ago

tndaisy,

I'm glad to hear you're coming. Please look over my exchange page - I have lots of stuff that must find homes. I'm interested in your 'Snowflake' hydrangea or flowering almond.

I ALSO HAVE THE FOLLOWING ADDITIONS FOR THE SWAP:

Crocosmia (bright orange w/ yellow throat, if memory serves; 1-gal pot stuffed with bulbs)
    . Hibiscus syriacus (lg. pot of 'Pink Blush' althea)
    . Hedychium (ginger lily; looks like 'Daniel Weeks'; spreads quickly)
    . Musa mannii (hardy banana to 9 ft. tall,small to large unpotted plants)
    . Musa 'Velutina' (extremely hardy; very full gallon pots)
    . Daylily 'Little Cadet' (lg. pot full)
    . May add others later....

Nelson

• rojonogo
    9 years ago

I'm a newbie, too, and I would like to come. The 27th is good for me. :-)

• fairlight47
    9 years ago

We've retired to Alabama and altho I don't have anything to swap, I'd love to attend and learn about the local plants n flowers for the area. Thanx!

• tedevore
    9 years ago

I am bringing compost (about 1/4 of my truck bed).
    Nelson, Wayne, Susan, Tony: I will try to find some empty boxes and bags, but perhaps bring something to put some in. I make a yearly trip to the Mtn. Brook municipal facility where I can get a truckload--good stuff.
    And bringing some plants.

Susan: if you have another persicaria "red dragon," I like that. And any canna with interesting foliage like bengal tiger.
    Wayne: I'd like maple leaf viburnum if you still have one.
    Nelson and Tony always bring something I didn't know I wanted.

• elfs_garden
    9 years ago

I am not going to be able to come. So sorry...

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have added a few plants to my list and will keep updating it over the next week. Please look at the list and let me know what interests you, and I will pot it and bring it to the swap for you.

Susan

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Todd, I will bring you the Persicaria and three kinds of cannas. Is there anything else I can bring you?
    I am interested in your Agapanthus and Iris tectorum, if you still have some left. Would love some compost too. Susan

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    9 years ago

I will be able to come!!

Not sure what all I will bring other than possibly my new almost 7 week old grand daughter. (Just a little proud)
    I can bring a couple of snowflake and snow queen hyd. , southern shield fern , and what ever else I can get together... double Kerria is everywhere.
    Nelson do you have any of the variegated bananas or giant elephant ears?

Also looking for orchids and African violets...

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Littlehelper,
    I'd like to trade for a Snowflake hydrangea and double Kerria. Please let me know if anything on my list interests you.

Susan

• tndaisy
    9 years ago

Could someone please give best directions for getting to the pavilion/which entrance to use...I have a map for the park, but it does not show the Beaver pavilion. Thanks!

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Enter the park via the east gate. Make a left after you pay at the entrance. Then take an immediate right down a dirt road to the lake. the Beaver pavilion is by the lake.
    Looking forward to seeing all of you there on Saturday morning,

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Map of East Area of Oak Mtn. State Park

• madabouteu
    9 years ago

I regret I won't see y'all tomorrow, I will miss you. I am not sure I will make it to the Spring 2015 swap. The last few weeks I have been feeling very tired and weak, and other symptoms such as droopy eyelids have shown up. I have been diagnosed as having myasthenia gravis, an incurable disease that leads to weakness of the skeletal muscles. The diagnosis is not 100% sure yet but my doctor is awfully sure I do have it. The thought of a long trip fills me with dread, and standing more than a few minutes is very difficult. I am going to have to cut way, way back on my gardening activities. Thank goodness I still have my succulents!

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kenneth,

We will miss you and Alice. It will not be the same without you. I will be praying that you do not have MG. I hope Alice is well.

Susan

• ourhighlandhome
    9 years ago

Hi Kenneth,

You were missed today. Hopefully your health will take a turn for the better and we'll see you again soon. Keep in touch with us - we all care!

Nelson

• madabouteu
    9 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. Looks like the weather really cooperated!

• arenee
    9 years ago

I've lost touch with this group due to losing the name. Is there anything planned in the Birmingham or Shelby Co. area? I have seeds I will trade.

Renee

• mws366
    9 years ago

Renee----next plant swap will be in spring 2015, probably first sat. in may. watch this site for info.

Sponsored