Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossyvossy1

daylily enthusiasts in Alabama

Bossy vossy
18 years ago

I am looking for DL Little Mark (McMillan-Abercrombie). I understand Ms. Grace Abercrombie was from the Montgomery, Alabama area and I'm wondering if any of her surviving friends grow this Daylily. please let me know, I have been searching hi and lo.

Comments (11)

• terramadre
    18 years ago

A search of the White Pages didn't yield a Grace Abercrombie.

• Bossy vossy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks for looking. Ms Abercrombie is deceased. I was hoping to find any surviving friends that perhaps still grow DLs that she introduced such as Little Mark. Still looking for it if you hear of anybody. thanks.

• kabby_z8
    18 years ago

Vossner, my Clary database shows two Abercrombies that were daylily hybridizers, one was in Notasulga AL and the other in Palmetto GA. It also shows that WB MacMillan was the hybridizer of LITTLE MARK, no Abercrombie mentioned. I just didn't know if you knew something that I didn't. Good luck on your search.

• Bossy vossy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kabby, I believe this DL was a collaboration between Mr. MacMillan and Ms.Abercrombie. I called big growers and LA wherre Mr. MacMillan was from and that's how I got the info. Then I called some people in AL and found out Ms (Mrs?) Abercrombie is deceased and was from the Montgomery area. I'm hoping that perhaps one of her many friends still grows DL Little Mark. I've put some feelers out, hoping they pan out. thanks for looking this, and please do contact me, directly or through this thread, if you hear of anybody that grows Little Mark.

thanks

• nyvoices99
    17 years ago

Wow, Voss I am digging hard to find this one for you, I read what you posted over on DG & I wish I could help you, I keep coming up empty handed on this one, sorry, I will keep trying, :)Anita

• alahemlover
    17 years ago

Go to the AHS Region 14 web site (covers Ala & Ga) at
    http://www.ahsregion14.org/
    AHS and affiliates are helpful, especially Montgomery Area Daylily Society members such as obilling@mail.aum.edu, hemhavennursery@mindspring.com, beckblmr@tsixroads.com,brehnberg@elmore.rr.com,jharr73808@knology.net

See the AHS official Registry, which anyone may access at:
    http://www.daylilydatabase.org/searches/doubles.asp
    Cultivar Name : Little Mark
    Hybridizer Reg. Date MACMILLAN-ABRCROMBIE 1/1/1976
    Height (cm)
    Bloom (in)3.25 8.255 Height (in) 19
    Double Evergreen, Reblooms, Diploid
    Description:cream with lavender eyezone and green throat

Anytime I am looking for specific registered varieties of daylily plants or seeds, I have always found what I need through the AHS affiliates.

• tricia73
    12 years ago

Hey Voss, I actually spent several years in Notasulga, AL. I dated the oldest of the Abercombie boys in high school. I can't remember the grandmother's first name now (20 years later). I remember she had TONS of daylilies all around her home on Wire Rd. I do know she did pass away and I heard that her son, Joe Jr., has also passed away. However I believe one of the twin grandsons owns a flowershop in Auburn, AL which is down Wire Rd from Notasula. Perhaps you might find some help there?

• melissafromtx
    12 years ago

Grace Abercrombie was my grandmother. Little Mark was named after my oldest brother that passed away at the young age of 27. I have searched as well for his flower and have had no luck. I did find a database here in Houston that had some beautiful hi-res photos of "Little Mark". The only one of my grandmothers flowers that I have been able to find was the one named after me "Melissa Abercrombie". My father, Joe Abercrombie, owns Auburn Flowers & Gifts in Auburn AL. I would appreciate any update if you are able to find "little mark".
    Melissa (Abercrombie) Pate

• gkoerper
    12 years ago

I have a daylily by ms. Abercrombie called "joe abercrombie" that I bought from bachman@ valley of the daylilies in Ohio. I live in Auburn and am interested in finding more of her daylilies also. Where can i get the one you have?

• gkoerper
    12 years ago

I have a daylily by ms. Abercrombie called "joe abercrombie" that I bought from bachman@ valley of the daylilies in Ohio. I live in Auburn and am interested in finding more of her daylilies also. Where can i get the one you have?

• melissafromtx
    12 years ago

If I remember right I purchased "Melissa Abercrombie" from http://www.simontonbridgedaylilies.com/simonton-im.html

It was a few years ago - Sad to say that I moved and sold my house and went back and they had cleared the flower bed so I no longer have one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simontonbridgedaylilies