Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aqua_thumb

Amending sandy soil

aqua_thumb
17 years ago

I am new to this site and have enjoyed reading your posts. I have a question some of you may be able to help me with. Just moved to a new house and I am trying to work in the very neglected flower beds. The ppl we bought our house from never spent a moment in the beds, no mulch, overgrown weeds and shrubs, etc. The original owners really worked in them however. She must have amended the clay soil, but I don't know if b/c of all the time had passed with nothing done to them if they turned even more sandy. We just pulled a ton of creeping juniper up and my soil looks like my kids sandbox to at least 9 or 10 inches deep. One of our local nurseries is selling large ziploc bags full of something very similiar to my soil, calling it Bonsai mix for $10 a bag, mine is a little finer. Guess I could be sitting on a gold mine if I sold it (j/k) but it's always so dry no matter how much I water. Bought a truck load of double shredded pine mulch the other day and someone said if I amend that into my soil it should be sufficient. Do you think? I'm so used to the clay soil, I feel lost in this quick sand. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored