Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amending sandy soil

Posted by aqua_thumb 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 6, 06 at 18:11

I am new to this site and have enjoyed reading your posts. I have a question some of you may be able to help me with. Just moved to a new house and I am trying to work in the very neglected flower beds. The ppl we bought our house from never spent a moment in the beds, no mulch, overgrown weeds and shrubs, etc. The original owners really worked in them however. She must have amended the clay soil, but I don't know if b/c of all the time had passed with nothing done to them if they turned even more sandy. We just pulled a ton of creeping juniper up and my soil looks like my kids sandbox to at least 9 or 10 inches deep. One of our local nurseries is selling large ziploc bags full of something very similiar to my soil, calling it Bonsai mix for $10 a bag, mine is a little finer. Guess I could be sitting on a gold mine if I sold it (j/k) but it's always so dry no matter how much I water. Bought a truck load of double shredded pine mulch the other day and someone said if I amend that into my soil it should be sufficient. Do you think? I'm so used to the clay soil, I feel lost in this quick sand. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amending sandy soil

Amending with any and all kinds of organic matter will be your job! Bark fines are good, as is chopped leaves, compost, manure, on and on and on. Sandy soil is probably easier to 'fix' than a clayey soil because you can actually do damage to clay by 'overworking' it.

Loads of double- or triple-grind wood chips, when applied as a mulch, will shortly work their way into the soil system without you having to do much work. Plan on doing that every once in a while. It would be great to locate a source of compost.

Remember, even the addition of a little OM is a good thing for sandy soils, so keep it up and you will be much rewarded. I lived in an area of deep sandy soils for many years and learned to love the ease of culture. Now that I have a yard full of hard, red clay that I've had to figure out (!!!!) I think back on those days with a certain fondness.

o

You may also want to read the FAQ on the Soil, Compost, and Mulch Forum ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil, Compost and Mulch Forum

o

Add as much grass and leaves as you can. Is there a saw mill close by which will let you dig sawdust? How about a cabinet shop. A friend used to use the sanded sawdust from a cabinet shop. It rotted quickly. Ther is an abandoned saw mill in West Blocton where I used to get rotted sawdust. Chop up pine straw with a lawnmower and add it to the soil. Whatever you use, be sure to turn it under the sandy soil. Give yourself 2 or 3 years to amend the soil before planting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here