Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is most beautiful spring shrub?

Posted by mollie (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 18:34

I am looking for a spring blooming shrub to plant this fall. I want something I can "force branches into bloom inside" and makes a beautiful display in the garden. I was thinking of Mock Orange, Spirea, etc. It will get a lot of sun. I so wish lilacs would grow here in the South. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is most beautiful spring shrub?

I've never had luck keeping mock orange bloom in a bouquet and I've never known of anyone forcing mock orange. The best thing for forcing would be either forsythia or quince. Their is a low growing, spreading forsythia which seems to bloom later than regular forsythia and holds its blooms longer. Also, there are now white, pink and peach colored quinces in addition to the old red, which are beautiful in a mixed arrangement. Ornamental peach trees are often forced into bloom in Asia to celebrate the lunar Chinese) New Year. They are very pretty. Ornamental crab apples (Brandywine)are very pretty as well. These are small trees. An early, early bloomer is winter jasmine. It doesn't have a fragrance but it is a low grower and blooms yellow over a long period. Finally there are the purple tulip trees which bloom later and are less likely to be killed by frost. These are fragrant. My favorite would be the forsythia. There are so many REALLY GOOD varieties now.

o
RE: What is most beautiful spring shrub?

I do love quince. I vote for that. I have two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here