Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zelenkabach

Mystery Squash????

zelenkabach
9 years ago

Last year I ordered Tromboncino squash seeds from a seller on Ebay to try to get a squash that was insect resistant. Trombonicino are really long and supposedly a little sweeter than zucchini. I planted the seeds but the squash that grew from those seeds was not a true tromboncino squash, but rather some sort of hybrid between the trombonicino and another squash, my guess was butternut or calabash�something like that. It did grow very vigorously and was resistant to insects, but I didn't care for the taste.

I notified the Ebay seller that his seeds were not growing true to what was advertised and he refunded me the money. I threw the MANY squash that I grew on the compost pile and didn't think anymore of it.

Fast forward to this year and those composted squash have grown like wildfire in the compost pile. At first I thought it was interesting and I am grateful that it is camouflaging my compost pile, but it is outgrowing that space and I am wondering what to do next.

Again I have prolific crop of "mystery" squash but when I have cooked them (roasted, deep fried, baked) I don't care for the taste. I think it is kind of a winter squash, so it cooks up dry.

My question is, what should I do next? I hate to yank out this plant because it is covering my compost area COMPLETELY and making its way over to my neighbor. I also have a big crop of squash and squash blossoms but I haven't found an appetizing way to cook it. It is fun to watch grow.

If I yank it out, my ugly compost pile will be revealed and as touchy as zucchini are to grow, I hate to lose a successful squash plant that is obviously VERY happy. However, is this sucking the nutrients out of the compost pile?

One thing I haven't tried is cooking the squash when it is really small, that might be more appetizing. It isn't bitter, just starchy and bland.

Any recommendations? Good recipes? I did purchase other trombonicino seeds from a reputable seed company and that is growing in another area of the garden.

Should it live or should I yank it? I will post a second message with the picture of the actual squash...

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz