Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Squash 2nd picture

Posted by lynnsdaughter none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 19:14

Here is a picture of the actual squash, and I have plenty!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Squash 2nd picture

Last year I ordered the same variety from a reputable company, and they were long with the ball shape on the end just like your photo. I let them stay on the vine until they turned gold, like a winter squash, and thought they were very good. They got over 2 ft long, and the neck part had no seeds, so they were easy to prepare. I think you got the right squash, but picked too early...they are not a zuccinni type. I saved some seeds and am trying again this year.

o
RE: Mystery Squash 2nd picture

Just out of curiosity: did all the plants survive the vine borers?

o
Mystery Squash end story

Just a follow up...
After trying to cook with very young squash from this mysterious plant and finding it not tasty,and also tasting some true tromboncino that I had in my garden and finding those delicious, I yanked out all of the mystery squash vines.

Let me tell you, this was a project.. The vines were extremely tough and I saw no evidence of SVB, nor squash bugs. The main vines from which the squash grow off were very hard, and had rooted themselves into the ground with some tenacity. I was surprised. Even though this was obviously a hybrid of tromboncino and something else, whatever tromboncino genes were still in that plant were no joke. I used my brand new Fiskar clippers to cut these vine apart and loosen them from the ground, and after a while, those clippers started to struggle to cut the vines.

I had about 20 mystery squash that I cut to reveal the seeds for the birds and then put on the compost pile.

Meanwhile, my other "true" tromboncino plants are doing well, no bugs yet but some brave deer have developed a taste for them an are attacking those plants.

If it isn't one thing, it's another...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here