Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I get composted horse manure?

Posted by TweetyPye z8/SC Al. (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 05 at 19:37

OK you guys!!! You really came through on the "pot" problem for me(she said with a grin)! Now, does anyone know where I can get the composted horse manure? Putting in new daylily beds, and need compost really badly. Preferably in the Central Alabama area.
Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I get composted horse manure?

Jan and anyone else who reads this message, please do me a favor. When I try to post, the subject line disappears. At first it is there then it just disappears. It doesn't matter if it is a new post or a reply like this one. Is anyone else having this problem? I noticed there have not been any new postings since Friday.

Oops, while posting this message, the subject line magically reappeared. Has anyone else had this prolem?

Terry

o

Nope Terry, no dissapearing subject line here. :) How's the weather where you are?
I'm in Elmore County, and rain and a few gusts or wind are about all we have so far.
Stay safe!
Jan

o

Jan,
We're in North Alabama but have 2 neighbors with horses who would likely be happy to get rid of some of their excess. My husband also works with a guy who has let us haul manure in the past. Problem is, most of it is not totally composted yet; just what they muck out of the stables when cleaning & laying new straw. Probably too far for you to drive with a trailer, but thought I'd let you know.
Elaine

o

Thanks Elaine, but yes, that is a bit far to be hauling manure. :) I hopefully will be able to locate some much closer by.

Jan

o

Jan, I have a source for horse manure, but I have no idea how to get it ready for the garden. :(

I read on the cottage forum that bunny poop was even better because you can use it directly without composting. There's a bunny farm just up the road from me. Has anyone used it before and can comment?

o

Bamateacha,

I dont' know about the "bunny" stuff, but with horse manure, it needs to compost "or sit" for several months. If you have access to the manure that has been laying around for a while, you can use it immediately. Just don't use "fresh" manure, or you will burn up your plants. We use to own horses, and my plants loved the composted manure, but we no longer have horses. I hope to be able to locate a source to get some for use in some new daylily beds I am putting in soon.

Jan

o

Hello,
ANY poop.. bunny or hourse have to be composted.. ask me how I know..lol..cow is better then horse...horse does not kill all of the "seeds" when ate.. cows kill alot more..you will see the difference in the sping..when your weeds take over...
Have a great day..

o

Thanks for the advice. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here