Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black spots on hydrangea

Posted by aqua_thumb 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 9, 06 at 21:08

I have a huge mophead hydrangea. I'm new to caring for them, but I have black spots forming on the top of the leaves. Also the new flowers are turning brown and dry before they've even reached their full growth. When I moved into this house about a month ago, I deadheaded all of the dried up flower heads and lightly pruned the dead wood. Does anyone know what these spots are? They're pretty big. I haven't seen any evidence of any bugs under the leaves, but I saw a small white film that almost resembles cotton on one of the stems. I also saw a little of that "cotton" looking stuff on a stem of a coneflower, which is on the other side of my property. Should I spray everthing with insecticidal soap, or what should I use?
Thanks,
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black spots on hydrangea

The info at the link may help you identify the cause and treatment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea diseases

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here